• In the Spotlight:

Do you think it would be ok to never use the dryer to dry clothes?

It costs $1 a load to dry! I am tempted to go buy one of those clothes drying racks and bring all my clothes in front of the AC to dry. My question is do you think I will be able to keep up with the laundry that way? How much do they hold?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Home & Garden

• if you have the space get a clothesline. i did that growing up in a large family where several loads were required per day, and we caught up. we did that for months and months until we were able to get a replacement dryer. it's entirely feasible. people did it for hundreds of years, in fact.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 5:03 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• You'd have to wash everyday,and iron everything. Get a clothesline. the racks don't hold much

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:01 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I wish I could do a clothesline but I live in an apartment.
    Anonymous

• I do! I hand washed all ours too until my SO got me a washer a few weeks ago! I do about one load a day (3 people), hang dry it over night and by morning its good to go. I have clothes lines as well though, makes it a lot easier. The only problem is the clothes get still from hanging outside. People have recommended a vinegar wash but I havent tried it yet. GL!
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 5:06 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• you can get a retractable clothesline pull it out when you need it. One tip though if your clothes are a little stiff or crusty feeling you are using to much soap. one thing i have done was use a liquid fabric softener in the rinse cycle to help with static and keep the clothes softer
    Anonymous

• I only dry my towels in a dryer. Our laundry room dryers are expensive. I hang the rest of my clothes on hangers the shower curtain to dry.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:22 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• We only put sheets and towels in the dryer. Everything else gets hung to dry.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2010