Is it safe to have a third c-section?

Trace_AddiesMom

Asked by Trace_AddiesMom at 5:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Generally speaking yes, but a lot of OB's don't like to do more than 4 or 5. The length of time between each section is more important than the number of them. You can have one and then in 10 months have another and your Dr. may worry more than if it had been 3 years between sections. The numbers I gave are just examples. Each Dr. is different and have guidelines they like to follow.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:54 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Ive heard they wont ever do more then 6, but I dont really know what im talking about so dont quote me on this lol Thats just what ive heard. If I were you I would speak your doctor about it he/she should know more than anyone how safe or not it would be for you.
    Anonymous

• It is safer to have a VBAC, each c-section you have your risks increase dramatically, and you never know which one will be the one that isn't good. You should research VBAC and repeat c-sections. I have a ton of info if you want it
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:19 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Yes. If you are concerned ask your doctor but as a woman who had 3, had a mom who had 4, and a sister who had 4 and all came out of it great...totally doable.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• It's crazy that they "won't do more than X number of c-sections", because lots of OBs also "won't let women do VBACs", so how exactly would they get the 7th baby out?
    lol I know I'm not answering the ? but I've really wondered how some drs make that call. One c-sec should not determine the way each subsequent baby is born. Seriously, the more times you are cut open in any surgery, the greater the risks. It may be safe in some drs opinions, but major surgery is always risky. It really doesn't make sense to have repeat c-sections if pregnancies are spaced such that the uterus is healed enough to avoid rupture during a VBAC. Uterine rupture is not as common or as scary as most OBs would have people believe. They are mostly worried about getting sued. Other countries with lower c-sec rates have better infant mortality rates than the US. Our system is messed up.
    Anonymous

• Oh anon 26 I so agree with you LOL... It is crazy. They may not want to take you on for the "risk" and the chance of being sued but hell if you are already pregnant what are you (general) supposed to do... Yes, the system is messed up..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:52 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• what else are you gonna do.. unless you are lucky enough to find a midwife or doc that will support a VBAC (much safer)..
    Anonymous

• Depends more on the individual woman but, generally speaking, yes it's safe.
    I'm having my 5th c-section in July.
    I had my 3rd one back in November 2002, 13 months after my 2nd and just 28 months after my 1st. My doctor said I was good to go if I wanted more children but begged me to wait a few years before getting pregnant again. Our 4th was born in 2006 and now this one. My OB now strongly urged me to get my tubes tied this time because of the increased risk with each pregnancy and c-section. Luckily 5 is enough for me. I'm feeling way too old with this pregnancy and just exhausted dealing with my other kids, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:14 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Not as safe as having a vaginal birth instead
    for the normal prior cesarean birther.

If you want safe, avoid major surgery (especially if it's elective & unnecessary)!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:30 AM on Jun. 8, 2010