How to teach someone to read ?

I need advice and/or suggestions on how to start teaching my oldest son to read. He is 5 1/2,a real go getter,extrovert,class clown.Soaks up new things like a sponge......etc.
I just have no idea where to start.And for those that are wondering,his birthday is 08/16/04 not long after the school cut off date for starting kindergarten.

silver1diamond

Asked by silver1diamond at 6:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I homeschooled my 3 sons. The best way for a child to learn to read is for them to teach themselves. If they haven't learned by the time they are 12 then it is time to start trying to "teach" them. Of course you can't do that if you send your child to school. My oldest could read at 4. The middle one was 11 and the youngest 12. The ones that were older started reading at an adult level almost right away. If you leave a child alone they can figure it out and it will one day make sense. Like how a child doesn't walk one day and is walking the next. As adults it doesn't matter when your learned to read or walked. What matters is how fast you read, how well you read, and how much you enjoy it. Kids that learn on their own are usually better readers.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:14 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• He needs to first master the phonics of each letter in the alphabet plus blended sounds...like "th, sp, cl, ki," etc...Then he'll learn to recognize individual words that "spin off" of those blended sounds such as "the, spell, clap, kick," etc. Then he'll start stringing together 2 and 3 word sentences, like "the end, cast a spell, clap hands, kick the ball," etc.

His teachers will work on this throughout the year. It is a gradual process, but the basics need to be mastered before he can learn to read.

You can buy inexpensive grade level workbooks at parent teacher stores, and book stores to give him a head start. If he needs extra help, then he will likely see a reading specialist. The school will assess and determine his needs in the first month of so of school.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:15 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• There's a book that you most likely will be able to borrow from your local library "Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons". I've heard many good things about the book. However it was not helpful for me because it turn out my child is dyslexic.  See if you can borrow the book before you buy it.

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 6:18 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• The thing is, I have 2 master's degrees in education and I don't know how to teach someone how to read. My youngest had developmental delays and a low IQ and the developmental doctors said he wouldn't read. He is 22 and going to college. I didn't read much to him because I developed asthma while I was pregnant with him and it's hard for me to read outloud. Our house was always full of books and we had lots of kids book. I read the ones that didn't have many words. He wanted to be able to read. He wanted to read things like menus so he could do everything himself.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:19 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My almost 2 yo is reading on a very small level. I highly recommend the leapfrog DVD's--talking letter factory, talking words factory 1 and 2 and there is also a let's go to school one that helps teach reading. My LO knows all of her letter and sounds just from the first 2 and she will be getting the other 2 for her birthday in a few weeks. She sounds out signs while we are out driving. But phonics is key to learning how to read. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I've been using the Abeka kindergarten curriculum to teach my son to read. Basically what it does is first teach the child all of the short vowel sounds. Then it teaches the consonants one at a time and blends them with the vowels. So once they know the vowels then they take something like "T" and learn the sound it makes and learn to go "ta, te, ti, to, tu" then it moves onto another letter. Once there are a few letters the child starts sounding out some 3 letter words in addition to the blends. Once they have all of the short letter blends and can read short words with those blends it teaches them the two vowel rule, that when there are two vowels in a word the first one says its name and the second one is silent. Of course it's more complicated than that, but that's as far as it gets in kindergarten. Then it teaches "special sounds" like th, sh, ch, and consonant blends like sp, cl, br etc.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 7:18 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Once your child knows the letter sounds and gets the concept of blending sounds together Bob books are very easy books to practice with too, my son was able to start using them very early on in kindergarten curriculum, as soon as he knew the short vowels and a few consonants.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 7:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• "If they haven't learned by the time they are 12 then it is time to start trying to "teach" them."

You have a master's degree from where??? If you know anything about brain development you should know that when a child is 12 it is exponentially more difficult for them to acquire the skills needed to learn to read. The reason reading is introducedbetween the ages of 5-8 is that's when the brain is best able to assimilate the new structure of written language to the spoken language they already have. Just because that's how your kids learned doesn't make it advisable for most people.

Anonymous

• To the OP, one thing Gail has right is that different children will learn to read in different ways. It's hard to say what to do with your son without working with him. My son is 2 and I'm not explicitly teaching reading skills, we just read often (which is the most essential thing) to make sure he loves reading. When he shows an interest I will guide him. However, I will not wait until he's 12 to provide explicit instruction.
    Anonymous

• There is a great book. TEACH YOUR CHILD TO READ IN 100 EASY LESSONS. Also, BOB books. Ask your local librarian!

OOPS, just read someone else posted TYCTR. I used this to teach all my children to read. It is NOT hard to teach reading. Keep reading aloud to your kids and once they learn have them read to you regularly and ask them questions to gauge comprehension. Good luck!
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 11:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2010