What questions do you have about your child's education?

I want to know what concerns you may have so that I can create a Q and A page to help other moms like you.

Send me your questions, I will try to answer them

Thanks

Patricia

DrPatricia

Asked by DrPatricia at 6:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't think kids 5-8 need formal education.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:22 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I would like to know if the following statement is true:

I read in a magazine that kids with many extra curricular activities tend to do better at school.

I can't understand how that could be true since the more extra curricular activities a kid has, the more tired they are and they have less time for homework.

My daughter is 5 and does piano, dance classes, tae kwon do, swimming and soccer. She's going to be on 1st grade soon so do I have to pull her out of most of these activities? Or- the more the better?
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 6:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Thanks! :)
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 6:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Wow when does your kid have time to be a kid?? I would let her choose the one (or two) activity(ies) she likes the best. Between that activity and school/homework your child should have just the right balance. But I for sure think that you are going over board with 5 different activities plus school.

Anonymous

• There is a wonderful teacher answering questions in the CafeMom group for moms of Elementary school aged kids. Join us there! http://www.cafemom.com/group/41

Answer by rkoloms at 8:01 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Let me tell you a story - and then report some research results.

When I was teaching a mother came to see me in tears because her daughter had been put into my learning assistance class because she was making very slow progress in school. I told her that her daughter seemed like a bright little girl (7yrs) but that she was always tired in class and so she couldn't learn. The mother then told me about all the extra classes her daughter went to. The mother trusted me when It old her to stop the other classes until a later time- result, a happier child who is quickly catching up in school.

Now for the research - what parents do IN THE HOME to develop children's learning accounts for up to 80% of their success in school. That means no extra classes, no extra homework, just lots of fun, learning activities. Check out www.leading2learning.com for ideas.

Have fun
    DrPatricia

Answer by DrPatricia at 1:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2010