my 10 minutes on my soapbox - the bible says

just getting cross with a couple of self appointed messengers of God, who think they are the only people qualified to interpret the Bible. So here you go, I think the Bible was written hundreds/thousands of years ago - yes the Dead Sea Scrolls were only discovered recently, but that doesn't change the fact that the writings are ancient - The word 'silly' meant blessed in old English times, that is not how the word is used today, so I can't help but believe some meaning has been lost throughout the changing face of language, no matter how learned the translators are. I also know the Books are written by Men (not Gods) and of course there is a chance there is a male driven slant ( of course the bible tells wives to obey their husbands - as if a man would write that wives don't have to do what their husband says !) You can dispute all I have said ( & you will) but that doesn't make me wrong, your opinion is just as human as mine

myheartx4

Asked by myheartx4 at 6:16 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• feel better
    Anonymous

• very much so thankyou! LOL
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I've always felt this way. But the writers, not the translators of the bible, were prophets of God, and with such had the power of Revelation for God's people. I don't like that so many people have translated it into easier bibles to read and teen editions and whatever editions they want to "translate" it in. I don't believe these people such as Joel Osteen (sp?) and Joyce Meyers have the right or the authority to speak for God. They are only limited to personal revelation.
    Anonymous

• First, take a breath in through your nose,.............now out through your mouth. Relax your shoulders, roll your head. Better? The Bible does tell husbands to honor their wives, to respect their, wives, and it gives instructions about being good husbands. We just focus on the "woman" angle. And, yes, it was written by men, but these men were divinely influenced. In other words, man's hands, God's words. It is that faith that keeps it relative. And finally, the language has changed, but you have to read the Bible. (I'm not implying you haven't.). It is written in a way that it transcends the ages. Even with the archaic language (King James is long dead you know.) the Bible still touches souls. Don't be such a feminist that you don't realize there are instructions to the men in our lives too.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I don't know why people always get hung up on the whole women have to obey her husband deal, yes it says that but it also says that a women is a fragile being and that the man is supposed to treat her like she is fragile, it also says once your married that man has no say over his body but the wife does and wise versa (not in those specific words but you get my point). You hardly ever see men treating there wife's as a fragile being, there rude, crude and everything in between, same goes for women obeying there husband it hardly ever happens most of women are opinionated, out spoken and do what they set out to do. If men and women both treated each other how the Bible says to treat each other I don't think we would have problems obeying our men and men treating us fragile and that would make for a more happy marriage.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 6:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I know, and I have and I am really also aware of the instructions for men ( I have to also say it was written at a time when daughters were included in the property of a household and could be sold like goats) . I am just having a rant, as in two question today it seems as though as soon as someone has an opinion on how a the scripture is interpreted one or two people jump all over them - I am just now wondering if there is a misunderstanding between the word translate and interpret. To me translate means the actual meaning of the words in a literal sense but how I interpret them is how I take them into my heart. And I can't understand how someone else has the right to tell me that how my heart has embraced the Word is wrong.Isn't the word of God speaking directly to my heart? And then someone else pipes up and says "actually God, you're wrong there.." I am just frustrated and was having my 10 minutes of stomping
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:33 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• yes it does say women must obey their husbands. but it also says that husbands must love their wives as Jesus loves the church. IMO. that means they should treat their wives very well. and it also say that when a man and woman are married they are to leave cleave and weave. this meaning once married their hearts are woven together and become as one. these passages are not for wives to become door mats...but instead are examples or how God ment marriage to be. If your husband treats you with respect and honors you you will want to submit to him and do what he asks of you. but the man should never treat you illy or ask you to do something unkind. does that make sence?
    Anonymous

• it really amazes me how everyone gets hung up on women obay your husbands. but they over look what is written to men about their wives. me are suppose to love their wives.

Just because your told to obay your husbands don't give them the right to mistreat you or try and make you their slave. My dh and i do have this type of marriage and it works really well for us. he don't control me and he don't try to control me. we also talk about about things before anything is done. but he does give the final say on things. but we have been this way before we was married and before we got into church.

we believe very strongly in: if you want respect you give respect.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 7:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2010