How long after an antibiotic should he start feeling better?

My two year old has strep, he was given the first dose of amoxicillin last night at 4am. He had another dose at noon. He is still running a fever and crying and crying. He will sleep for an hour or so and wake up crying again, then cry and fuss for about 30-45 minutes and fall back asleep.
My other kids have had strep, but never felt this bad, so I am at a loss about what to do for him.
At what point would I take him back to the doctor?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 6:39 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your child should start feeling better within 3-4 days of starting the amoxicillin. If there is no improvement after that long, I would call the doctor again.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:43 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• its needs 2-3 days

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:51 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Antibiotics need about 24 hours to start to kick in and 48 before they are really starting to feel better. I have only had it once and it felt like I was swallowing razor blades. I would keep up with motrin and tylenol for pain and maybe do some cholroseptic for the pain as well. It REALLY hurts. I hope he feels better soon.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:52 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• If there is nothing new there is no reason to go back to the doctor. It can take a week or longer.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:25 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My kids rarely start feeling any better til at least 3-4 full days after starting an antibiotic. I've noticed though that what the drug is makes a difference - zythromax/zythromycin they don't start feeling better til they're done with it, which is day 5-6. I personally don't start feeling it til about a week after starting it. Are you giving tylenol for pain, or ibuprofen? I'd flip flop with those - give one, 4 hours later give the other, 4 hours later give the first one, etc. Around the clock, every 4 hours, every other med. That will help too. But with strep, it's pointless to call the doctor til it's been a week and there's no improvement.
    Anonymous