My 8 month old son refusing to eat..

Since I started him on solids he has always been a good eater. Lately he has not wanted to eat. Yesterday he would not eat breakfast, took 2 bites of lunch, and about 5 bites at dinner over a period of an hour. Today he did eat breakfast - but just a couple bites at lunch and refused dinner. He won't drink his juice either.
I have been patient and offering food often. All he seems to want is formula..he used to only take a bottle at nap/bedtime.
What could be causing this and what can I do? Besides call the Dr. which I'm doing in the morning.
Thanks

Maya09

Asked by Maya09 at 6:52 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you think he is teething? I would check to see if the gums are swollen and that may be the cause. If not I wouldn't really worry about it to much because kids go through periods like this all the time.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• It's called teething. Eating solids hurts. That's why all he wants is the formula. So just give him formula.
    Anonymous

• It could be teething, but my son would also act this way when he was about to get sick with a cold or something. Don't worry, as long as it is temporary and he is still getting nutrition he will be fine.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 7:02 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• It could be teething or he could be starting to get sick and doesn't have other symptoms yet. Formula should remain a baby's main source of food until a year. Babies should drink about 32 ounces formula a day. Juice has been discouraged and I just read today that the new recommendation is no juice until after 12 mo and then only 4-6 oz that is half diluted. So that would be a max of 3 oz of juice after 12 mo since you dilute it. Until 12 mo only breastmilk, formula, and water.

Babies need breastmilk or formula for brain growth. If you are spoonfeeding baby food it may be he doesn't want to be spoonfed that  yucky stuff. Fork mash some people food and let him feed himself.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• What Gailll said. He also might be teething
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• He's not supposed to be eating "meals" yet, he's supposed to be drinking his nutrition - baby foods are void of almost all nutrition, and just aren't necessary. What IS necessary is 32oz minimum of formula a day - bottles at nap & bed only are NOT enough for an 8 month old baby. He needs more bottles, so give them to him, and if he doens't want the solids, don't push him, let him drink.
    Anonymous

• At 8 months my son was only eating a bite of solids here, a bite of solids there..

They make toddler formula for a reason.

It is not necessary to push solids so hard.
    Anonymous