my son has an unexplainable high fever

my son who is 18 months has some medical conditions, one being a condition with his airways collapsing. he was also recently diagnosed with "borderline" hydrocephalus. so when he gets sick, our family doc gets very concerned and does everything she can to figure out what is going on. So today, we wake up.. he is fine.. he is his normal self. We even go to the park, and he was great. We leave and he starts acting really tired, Well turns out he has 103.6 fever. He gets really shaky and wont even sleep because everytime he falls asleep he starts twitching, kinda like when you have a dream of falling you kind of get s tartled. then he wakes up. Im at this point hoping that its just an ear infection.

I take him to the Drs office (our family dr isnt there) The dr we see checks his ears, they are fine. Hes not sure where the fever is coming from, but gives us antibiotic and says everything else is normal...But Im scared

Mommyof2n0308

Asked by Mommyof2n0308 at 7:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Weird that the doc would give you an antibiotic without figuring out what was causing the fever.
    My son has strep and has been twitching like that when his fever is rising. I just keep up with the motrin and tylenol to keep the fever down.
    Good luck! If you don't get the answers you need from the fill in doc, I would call your doc tomorrow.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:17 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I think you should take him to the ER to see if he needs checked for menningitis because of his other health issues. This would mean a spinal tap. He may have had this before. They may also check for septicemia, bacteria in his blood. I wouldn't wait.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:21 PM on Jun. 7, 2010