Should I make her go?

We are new in to the state with no relatives close by. Normally I would only let me children(5&6) go to relatives houses to play. My daughter(6) has made a best friend at school I have met her Mom and they have invited my daughter to play at their house in a few days. My daughter was very excited about this play date but the closer it gets the more she doesnt want to go. Letting my daughter go to her friends house is a bit out of my comfort zone but I realize this is going to have to happen sooner or later with no family in state. Should I make my daughter go or wait a little longer for the first non-relative play date?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Why don't you invite the girl and mom to your house. You could make a friend and find out more about where you live.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:17 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I have become very protective over my kids, since my sister allowed her 6 yo son go to a friends house and the childs 13 yo brother raped my nephew! It was the first time she had let him go over to someone eles house. My kids can have friends come over but they are not allowed to go to anyone elses house except for select family members houses...
    Anonymous

• i agree with Gailll
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 7:22 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• For once, I agree with Gailll. Or talk to the other mom and tell her you and your daughter feel a little uncomfortable about her playing at someone's house that you don't know well and ask her if she would mind if you came along.
    Anonymous

• If she doesn't want to go, don't force her. Suggest to her that the friend comes to your house and then call the friend's mom and let her know your daughter is feeling nervous and ask if they could come to your house the first time. Any mom worth her salt would be understanding.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 7:41 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I agree with the other moms. I would never force my child to go to someone's house if they are not comfortable doing so. Your daughter will get to that point on her own when she is ready. There are lots of alternatives in the meantime - inviting them to your house, going to the playdate along with your daughter, meeting for a playdate at a neutral place like the park.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 7:54 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Do Not MAKE her go alone. You should make a play date with the Child AND Mother. The 4 of you can go to a playground or somewhere neutral if you don't want to have her over your home before you know her. I would get very familiar with her before I left my child in her care. Your daughter is too small to go on playdates without you. PERIOD!
    Anonymous