ds is going through another picky eating phase

it is driving me NUTS. he isnt eating anything. He's 25 months old. I gave him a big breakfast, he ate the hard boiled egg, he refused tacos last night but I tried again for lunch, cut them up in triangles to give them a quesadilla look (he usually likes those), he ate one little piece. I gave him a piece of my turkey sandwich which he asked for, he ate the little amt of turkey on the sandwich and that's it. He is refusing dinner rght now. He usually likes rice and chicken. he is eating NOTHING. This isn't a first. I've been told this phase happens a lot but AAAAAAAAH. I dont know what to make him anymore because he's on a food strike :( he even refused macaroni and cheese a few days ago! are you KIDDING me? he usually loves macaroni and cheese!
:(

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 7:19 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The air-o-tarian phase! They all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated. Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac & cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, eventually she will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce

Answer by rkoloms at 7:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My DD went through this stage...and literally she ATE NOTHING......I got her to eat some popcorn ( like 5 pieces) but she was drinking a whole lot.
    My doctor said it was fine as long as she was drinking fluids and she wasn't losing weight. She's now gotten over it, but it was so frustrating, I would cry because she didn't eat!
    Your little one will get over it too....just keep offering..if he doesn't want it, don't force it.
    My DD wouldn't even eat CANDY....seriously. CANDY?! .....crazy.
    Anonymous

• lol dang even candy? yes I am offering water and such..not to the point where he is too full to eat because of his beverage consumption... I felt like crying last night. SO's tacos were soooo good. I mean soooooooooo good. DS didnt eat a bite.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 7:27 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Yeah...CANDY! It was the same thing...she'd nibble it once and push it away. We gave her juice a couple times through the day so she was getting a little bit of fruit...like OJ and AJ but that was it. The rest was water. This went on for two weeks...she'd start eating a little, like a couple bites every meal for about a week, then went back to practically NOTHING.
    Like I said, she's since gotten over it, but it sucks while it's happening! She didn't even lose any weight....that's what was totally weird!
    Anonymous

• Kids go through phases like this. Just keep offering and eventually it will pass. If he gets hungry, he WILL eat. We were so concerned the first time we went through this. Now our fourth is 24m and we're going through it for (voila!) the fourth time! It's frustrating but once the ped told us it was normal, we stopped worrying.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 7:38 PM on Jun. 7, 2010