I have an advanced young reader entering kindergarten in the fall. Most kids will be learning alphabets and my little one will probably enjoy the social factor regardless of what they learn. For those of you who have walked through this situation already, either as a mom or a teacher, what advice might you have?

northernprairie

Asked by northernprairie at 7:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in

• Oops, I didn't think this posted and reworded the question. Sorry bout that. I'm closing this one, will note the answers, and will delete this question in a bit. Thank you for your answers sorry about the newbie error.
    northernprairie

Answer by northernprairie at 7:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Homeschool.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:22 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My daughter was an advanced reader before she started kindergarten. She got bored after a couple of months so the teacher gave her extra work to do all year. Now she's going to skip a class and go straight to second grade!
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 7:22 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Allow the social interaction, and for your child to complete the coursework as per the curriculum. At your first parent-teacher conference, if your child is truly ahead of the curriculum, and earning perfect scores and breezing through lessons, ask the teacher about their gifted program. I have a niece who at the end of Kindergarten had been tested and allowed into the school's gifted program for 1st grade. She didn't skip any grades, but she was pulled out for gifted classes and given advanced course work that was at least a grade level above her current grade.

Mind you, it's common for children to be ahead of their peers at this age--especially if they attended a good preschool. But, it's been shown that more often than not, by the time these "advanced" children reach middle school, they pretty much even out with their "lagging" peers. Some continue to excel, but the numbers are vastly different.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My son could already read and I just started to talk to the teacher and see what she could suggest we also did weekly trips to the library.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My dd is starting K on an early entrance trial basis because she is only 4 and her borthdate is after the cut-off. We have some of the same concerns about her being bored or not feeling like she belongs because she is already reading and doing multiplication problems and stuff. In the first 30 days, they will be evaluating her to see if she should move up a grade or if she should stay where she is. The gifted coordinator is supposed to help us and her teacher come up with a specific acceleration plan that will give her extra work to keep her challeneged so she won't become the bored kid or "bad" kid.
    Anonymous

• But, it's been shown that more often than not, by the time these "advanced" children reach middle school, they pretty much even out with their "lagging" peers. Some continue to excel, but the numbers are vastly different.

The school psychologist and the K principal in our district who evaluated my dd said exactly the opposite - the majority of kids who enter K early are not affected in any way negatively later, and most continue on an accelerated learning path.
    Anonymous

• Look for advanced schools in your area (if you are in Chicago, feel free to contact me offlist). You may want to join one of the CafeMom groups for mothers of gifted children. Find enrichment classes in your area.
    A bored child is an obnoxious child.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:58 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

Next question in
Online colleges

Next question overall (Kids' Health)
Need help with my employer...