what to do with a 13 year old

This Friday
I will be getting my neice for about a week. Then again in July. What do you do with a 13 year old? I told her to bring her six flags pass. That is the only ideal that I have.

BOOGIETHEBOOG

Asked by BOOGIETHEBOOG at 7:22 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Get her a pass to the local pool. She will have a great time while you are at work.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Ask her mom or dad what she's into and build on that. Swimming is a pretty safe bet but make sure, if you're not going to be there, that there's a life guard on duty. We always liked the library but kids now don't seem so into reading. Take a trip to the mall for the day and have lunch out.- You don't have to spend big to have fun. Ride bikes. Go for walks.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 7:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Where do you live? Ask people in your area with teens what they like to do.

If you are in Chicago, send me a message offlist (I have a 14 year old)

Answer by rkoloms at 7:41 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I live in Arlington Texas. The reason why we are getting her. Because I feel like she is over looked. Because she was the baby intill her mom and dad adoptied the 4 kids. Her mom is always on her case. Her mom dose not care what we do.
    BOOGIETHEBOOG

Answer by BOOGIETHEBOOG at 8:43 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Make her feel special without being overinvolved.

Go to a nice place for lunch together.

The pool pass sounds like a great idea.

Bake cookies together.

Give her a journal at the beginning of her stay and tell her to use it as she wishes.

What are your hobbies? Do you hike or do anything outdoorsy? That would be an easy into something fun and active.

Check your newspaper for local events. I know that my town has a large farmer's market on the weekends, plus outdoor movie showings of cult classics in the summertime. See what's available.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 2:30 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Take her to get a manicure and/or a pedicure(and get one for yourself, too.) Go shopping one day and have lunch somewhere nice. If there's a movie she's been wanting to see, take her to see it if you consider it appropriate for a 13-year old. If you know how to knit or crochet, and she's interested in learning, teach her what you know. Ask her what she would like to do or what she enjoys. There may be museums you can visit or free concerts(we have a lot of those in the parks during the summer.) Make a picnic lunch or supper and go somewhere she picks to eat it. If you have a friend with a girl close to her age, invite her over for a visit and buy them pizza.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:50 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Thank you all. Those are great ideals. I wish that I can have her all summer. I think that she needs us.
    BOOGIETHEBOOG

Answer by BOOGIETHEBOOG at 1:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2010