I would like to hear advice/experience from mom/teachers who have had advanced readers entering kindergarten.

I realize learning the alphabet with the others may be boring to my little one, but I'm hoping the social aspect will make it a positive experience anyway. I'm looking for ways to keep up with/challenge her academic skill, ways to communicate with the teacher about perhaps accommodating her reading level in class somehow, maybe even encouraging her to read to other kids at playtime once or twice a week so the other kids will think its "cool" rather than use it as an excuse to ostracize her. (this has happened to us in preschool, looking for a way to keep kindergarten from being the same)What do you think?

northernprairie

Asked by northernprairie at 7:29 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in

• Talk to the school. From the time I was in kindergarten, I always went into one of the upper grades for reading since nobody else in my class was on my level (until 3rd grade when another girl who was on my level moved into town and then she and I had our own reading group).

Answer by missanc at 1:51 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My DD is finishing kindergarten wednesday. She was well ahead of much of her class in reading. She still really enjoyed kindergarten and was friends with everyone. I can't see other kids picking on her for being able to read unless she bragged or made them feel bad about NOT being able to. I didn't say anything to her teacher before school started and DH was worried she would be bored. Well she was only there for 2 hrs 45 min and there was no time for boredom. i talked to her teacher at the 1st conference and she assured me that she was in a reading group that was more on her level.
    I think your DD should be just fine. Kindergarten is so much fun that I think it won't be an issue.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 7:39 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My daughter was reading chapter books at four. She was on waiting lists for the academically advance programs during kindergarten and first grade; honestly, it was a nightmare. She was bored and behaved terribley.

For second grade, she was finally accepted into a school that could challenge her. She went from the smartest kid in the class to the middle of the pack..

Please explore school options in your area. If you are in Chicago, feel free to contact me directly.

You may want to join one of the CafeMom groups for parents of gifted children.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:45 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• DO NOT PUT A READER IN KINDERGARTEN.

I could read like a freaking adult at age 4. When I was put in Kindergarten at age 5...I was so bored I never paid attention. It was a nightmare.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:52 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Reading isn't the only thing they learn in Kindergarten.
    Anonymous

• They won't do much. They didn't for ours. We homeschool now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

Next question in
Online colleges

Next question overall (Teens (13-17))
what to do with a 13 year old