• In the Spotlight:

How to answer strangers, people in passing & acquaintances, kindly?

All my life I was known to be a Earth Angel, Angel , Barbie, Rapunzel Etc.. Known for my kindness and my hair. Well Chemo & cancer took it away. People notice me in a scarf. Look, Stare and wonder. I'm finding out through others that those people that stare, avoid me or don't say anything to me, ask family. I'm all good with that! I cry sometimes when I go to the Drive thru' I'm not noticed. Or I went to a art Show with my DD & DH. A person comes and says Oh where's your mom to my DD. I'm standing right there. She goes, I didn't recognise her without her Hair! I want to say I'm wearing A scarf in Bret Michael's honor. Or I figured if Willie Nelson could cut his hair so can I. Something light, a ice breaker Etc. I had recently a person come right into my face, nose to nose and says How's your Health? When I went to a Look good feel good program the hairdresser said how she remembers my beautifiul hair. How to reply Kindly?

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 7:33 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Tell them you remember it to, but you have a new lease on life and a new look. DOn't worry about being kind - cancer isn't kind - just be honest and hold your head high. Life is too short to worry about what other people think. Good for you for beating it!
    Anonymous

• I would be honest. You should be proud of how hard you are fighting.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:47 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Why not purchase a few wigs that replicate the way your hair used to look? I have a cousin who is going through chemo right now while battling breast cancer, and she has 3-4 different wigs in different colors that she wears--depending on how she is feeling on a particular day--and she wears her wigs in ponytails and with hair accessories like hair clips and headbands to make her wigs look more realistic. She looks amazingly healthy and always has a smile on her face even while receiving chemo.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:47 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I am sorry for your loss. But me, I would probably be slightly rud and say to people. " That's what cemo does to you".

Answer by louise2 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I have to take a medication that makes people gain 5-10 pounds every year. That doesn't sound so bad to save your life. It's a bad disease. Well it's been 22 years and that could be 220 pounds gained. I've gained about 70. I hate not being thin and people thinking fat thoughts about me. I eat well and live a healthy lifestyle. It's changed my face.

I know what you mean. I used to be really hot. It sucks.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I like the lines you thought of to say! I'm sorry people are rude. They are confused and maybe are trying not to upset you but they do anyway because the thought makes them mentally clumsy.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 8:36 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Hmmm, how bout grabbing your head wildly & asking "What? Isn't it there anymore?" or "Hey I just beamed down from chemo land to check in w/ you"
    nice retorts aren't really my speciality...
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:38 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Well Sweetie, my Sister In Law was in the same situation, and she would respond with something like " Didn't you know? Scarves are the latest trend!" Or if she wasn't feeling up to being nice ~ and you don't always have to be nice about dealing with other's rude and insensitive comments, she would just tell them " What's it to you?" I can't believe the hairdressers comment! You would think someone who works with a group to help people dealing with cancer would be a little more sensitive to their feelings. I am sorry you are dealing with such ignorance.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 11:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2010