How do you teach your children to be inclusive of others?

For example, do you inform your children that they cannot say "you can't play with us" or "You can't play with her, she's my friend." , particularily in class group situations? Do you tell them they can only say "I don't want to play with you" if another child is being rude or too rough? When you speak of people of visible ethnicity do you tell them there are several races within the human race divided by skin colour, or do you tell them that some people have different hair colour, skin colour, languages, and ethnicities but we are all in fact only one race? I'm not trying to judge, although obviously I have a personal value I try to exercise in my own life. I'd just like an idea of where other opinions are at on that subject. I also think the idea of inclusiveness extends far beyond accepting people of other skin colours.

northernprairie

Asked by northernprairie at 7:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Mostly I try to model inclusivity for him. I also try to find ways to expose him to diversity (of all kinds). I don't bring up differences of any kind among people just to make a point, but when it is relevant or when he mentions something (like one day he told me Greyson's skin is different from ours), then I talk about those differences very matter-of-factly.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 7:58 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• About the race part. I raised my DD's as there is one race of people. Different skin tones. Everbody is the same.

Answer by louise2 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• This is a tough question. I wrote one answer and didn't think I did a good job. I have 3 sons, they are now 30, 27, and 22. This is an area of parenting I did good with but I didn't have a plan. I was into non-sexist childrearing and had a plan for that. I think if you nurture empathy and related skills they it will transfer to things like racism and being kind to people with disabilities, ect.

We lived in university family housing at a large university for much of their childhood and there were few American families. They had friends from all over the world. They always had friends that were girls and played with kids that others might leave out because of disabilities or other differences.

The etnicities/race issue is still controversial, one of my sons wrote a paper on it for a class recently.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:21 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• DH & I have always emphasized empathy and compassion, and explained to our kids to treat others the way we want to be treated. If another child they are playing with behaves selfishly, plays unfairly, or swears and says the Lords name in vain, my kids seem to always be able to tell the other that they don't appreciate it. And we don't treat or talk about those of a different nationality/ethnicity any differently. A handful of kids I babysit in my home are not caucasian. They and my kids play fine together, and I always forget we aren't of the same race. Race isn't something we dwell on. We know we are all human beings.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 9:22 PM on Jun. 7, 2010