Separation anxiety at 23 months?

My son has been going do his daycare since he was 7 months so well over a year and never had any issues. For the past week he's been throwing a fit when I drop him off and it seems to get worse each day. He's always fine when I pick him up and his daycare provider tells me he calms down a few minutes after I leave. I don't expect anything bad is going on, I just find it weird that seemingly out of nowhere he has this major separation anxiety. Is this normal at 23 months?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes. It is actually a positive - it is a sign of how well bonded the two of you are.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I agree with rkoloms, as hard as it is, it is a good sign. He loves his mommy and wants to stay with you. My kids all started doing a similar thing around the age of 5. And they all settled down after a few minutes, which shows that that they were not miserable, just showing affection without the verbal skills.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:16 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I would check in and really make sure nothing is going on. My son enjoyed day care a lot , then one day he didint want to go anymore and cried when I left him. Eventually I found out that two little girl where being very mean to him.... After we solved the problem, he was ok again.
    Anonymous