cops just came to my home

seems as tho my kids along with several other children in the neighbor hood literally peeled almost all the bark off of a tree in our open space park neighborhood. I am very disappointed in my kids, they were not raised to damage property, and are being raised to take care of our echo system. Anyway, I know as kids we all have played with grass, picked our neighbors flowers or peeled a little bark off a tree, hey we had tree houses but I am really upset right now....how would you feel or what would you do if your kids were involved in something like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:02 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• The bark is what protects a tree. If you take it all off it can die. It's destructive, and if it were my kids, i'd tell them why a tree has it's bark, and if they did it again, your going to let the cops take them in next time...lol (push a little fear into them).
    Anonymous

• laugh. Its a tree. I'd be pissed if they spray painted it but have you really told them "don't peel bark off our tree's thats bad"...i wouldve told the cop to take a hike.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:06 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I truly do not think that is something that needs any discipline. It is not like they killed a cat.  I would give them a good talking to about distroying things and leave it at that.

Answer by louise2 at 8:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I agree with the first poster... not a "crime" in my opinion...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 8:08 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• What did the cop expect you to do,go glue it back on? Id explain to the kids about the importance of a tree's bark,and tell them never to do it again,but there wouldn't be a punishment.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• echo echo echo

Anonymous

• I wouldn't tell them the cops would take them next time! I think unless you are sure they explicitly knew it was wrong you can't punish them. BUT I think it is important to teach them WHY it is bad to do this.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 8:17 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My kids would be grounded if they helped completely destroy a tree. And that's what they did. It's still destruction of public property, and sorry, but paint can be washed off a building, but that tree is DEAD now.
    Anonymous

• At anon 11.......
    LMAO! Me & DH are both cracking up now!
    I was like ehh a spelling error no biggie.. scroll, reading replies.... echo, echo, echo... HAHAHAHAHAAH

Poor tree is naked! Make the kids go dress it, just for humor sake! hehe... My kids would probably get a little something, or maybe i would have them do more yard work (caring for the garden!) but no real punishment!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2010