Do your kids have free reign of the fridge/goodie cabinets?

Why/ why not?

My dd can help herself but she just has to inform me before she gets anything. Like "mommy, I'm having a chocolate bar, ok?"

pipermomofash

Asked by pipermomofash at 8:03 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• no b/c then they wont be hungry when I fix a meal...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 8:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• First of all my kids wouldn't say "mommy I am having a chocolate bar" and secondly...no, they can not just help them selves. Every child is different but in our home I can't trust that they would wash their hands before going into the fridge and they have in the past stuck their fingers in food, " just to taste it" well, no one wants it after that! and last but not least they don't know a limit like appropriate amounts, they will take as much as they can get away with. We serve them breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner. My kids my rules!
    Anonymous

• They have to ask first, but are always welcome to eat a fruit or a veggie.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:11 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Now if I had just one sweet little girl that didn't eat that much to begin with or I knew would follow mommy and daddy's rules on what is ok to eat and what is not then I would say, yes. Unfortunately, the answer is no.
    Anonymous

• Well my daughter doesn't eat that much anyway lol! So if she wants to eat something willingly, even candy, she's welcome to!
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 8:17 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My 13 yr old sort of does. I do have to cut her off after school because she tries to eat the whole house. But I don't think it is appropriate to let small children just eat whatever they want whenever they want. I don't want them eating a bunch of chocolate chips or filling up on goldfish a half hour before dinner.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 8:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• We don't keep candy or junk food in our house. It's just not good for anyone. My kids are welcome to get a snack themselves though if they ask first.
    Anonymous

• Absolutely not. Primarily because the location of our fridge is less than ideal and not the safest for them to get into. (not our choice to have it where it is, there is no other place for it). And our cabinets are all high, so it'd be dangerous for them to climb up and get in them. So no, they don't have access to anything really.
    Anonymous

• No. They have to ask before they take anything other then water. If I let them have free reign they would eat and eat and eat all day long and we'd have no food left. With 4 kids we can't afford for them to be eating 5 meals or 10 snacks a day or whatever it is they think they need. I have 2 boredom eaters who would weigh 100lbs if I let them eat whenever they felt they were hungry.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:41 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• They used to have full access to the food, but I don't keep junk food in the house often. Recently though they've lost the privilage after tearing open everything I brought from the store the day before and throwing it all around the kitchen & living room. Thats what I get for leaving my kids with my 15 year old BIL for a few hours.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2010