Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where to begin to start a facility that cares for mentally/physically disabled people?

I guess my question is, once you know thats is what you want to do, what are the first steps in achieving this? Anyone who has opened there own business like this I will take any advice..thanks!

Answer Question

Asked by Roisin07 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 13 (987 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • It's expensive. I think you need to start by applying for grants, looking for investors and board members, and researching licensing. This is not a small business type of thing like an in home daycare. It's going to take a long time before you get to see the fruits of your labors. Maybe even visit some websites of places that already exist and read their history blurbs. Here is the website for a place like this where I used to work, poke around and see if there is some info on how they got started:

    Answer by beckcorc at 8:11 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • I'd call a place that does it now and ask them

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:37 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • Also the move has been away from facilities and towards group homes with as few as 1 or 2 home members or as many as 5 or 6 (at most), but still a much more "home" setting rather than institution like. If you want to get into that field I'd start by working in a group home, or even just doing respite work with special needs people. I work with teens with special needs and while I love my job, I know I couldn't work in a group home. I know most of the agencies around here are gov't based/funded and totally non-profit.

    Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.