The Census Bureau just called to ask me a ton of questions about my house hold.

I have already filled out their long questioner and sent it in. They did receive it but still wanted to take another 15 minute questioner over the phone and it was irritating! Is this standard and do they do this with every one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• That doesn't sound right. I worked for the Census for a little while and we never did that. We walked around and asked the same questions that were on the original form and only went to houses that either DIDN'T return the questionnaire or had theirs lost in the mail (happened a lot).

What kind of questions did they ask? Did they ask for info like Social Security Numbers, Earnings info, or anything like that? If so, I'd call your local Census office and report it because it doesn't sound legit. Census questions are as follows:

How many people live in this home.
    Did you live here on April 1, 2010.
    How old are you (and DOB)
    How old is each person who lives here
    What is your race
    Do you sometimes live elsewhere.

Done. If you were ask more than that, that's not right. Check the 2010 Census website for your local office number and call.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:27 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• why was it irritating? its helping figure out how much money is needed for what in your neighborhood. 15 minutes out of your life won't kill you.
    Anonymous

• How do you know it was really them? There are a lot of scams going on out there. Why would they call if they already had the info?
    Anonymous

• I mailed mine in and haven't recieved a call... My neighbor didnt mail one in and someone has been coming from the census every day for the last week to get their info but they wont answer the door...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 8:22 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I've never recieved a call. I wouldn't answer or talk to them if they did call. If it was legitimate, someone would have stopped by your house first.
    Anonymous

• I don't get why people wouldn't send it in or won't answer the door. To me, it means they have something to hide, like they are a wanted criminal or are here illegally or something.
    Anonymous

• Also, they are REQUIRED to make a home visit FIRST before attempting to contact you by phone. If you did not receive a notice on your door that someone tried to stop by, that's a HUGE red flag.

I strongly encourage you call your local office.

http://2010.census.gov/2010census/contact/index.php

Use this link and contact someone about this phone call.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Anon:28, people are just distrustful of the Government in general. They always have been. I tried really hard not to take it personally when people got combative or dodged me.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2010