What are the duties of an Xray Tech or Sonographer re: catheters?

The classes offered at our local community college to be certified as an Xray tech deal with medical imaging, radiological technology, anatomy and pathology. No classes seem to deal with needles, caths or IVs.

My neighbor is an Xray Tech at a local hospital, and she said she obtained that degree I'm looking into, and she often times starts IV.

I talked with a Sonographer (while my son had an EEG) who said she has the exact same Xray tech degree (since a sonography degree is not offered within several hundred miles of our city) and works at the exact same hospital as my neighbor, and has never (nor has any other sonographer) started, or used, needles, caths, or IVs.

When I'm done being a SAHM I really hope to start the process of specializing my degree, but since I'm so wary of entering into people's veins, I'm not sure sonography is right for me.

Help? Thanks.

flatlanderjenn

Asked by flatlanderjenn at 8:33 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• ok, i'm a MRI technologist. CT techs do obtain IV access for the purpose of injecting contrast. Some techs dont have that license, but most do. Most CT techs are also x-ray tech. MRI techs in some states are not allowed to inject anyone that is why i went with that specialty. Ultrasound techs have no reason to inject. X-ray techs make the least amount of money of all the specialties, just so you know. In my state they only start at around $18/hour. CT and MRI start at around $28/hr. Good luck, any way that you choose to go, please do it because you want to help people because in this field you have to have some compassion and a lot of patience. I've known people to do this for the money and they are unhappy and are not that great with the patients.
    Anonymous

• Sonography and x ray techs would NEVER have to use them, and if your not sure, ask the college councelor or one of the professors at your school.
    You would not be doing any of that.
    Anonymous

• I was in xray tech school and we did learn to start IV. I had to drop out because of sitter issues just last mos but my next set of classes were learning to start IV. Depends where you work whether you wopuld use it or not where I did my clinicals nurses did it but bitched because they wanted the tech to do it. I do not know much about U/S except in AZ you have have a degree in some type of medical field like RN, sray tech or respiratory therapy. Now every state varies but thats how it is here. You also do BE so if you are not comfy with that type stuff maybe something else? The shedule at my college is very intense so I decided I am going to take a LPN course then do RN. xray I loved just no jobs and I have a yr left but afraid there would be no jobs!
    Anonymous