Would you home school your child because of disciplinary problems?

No rude replies. My son is very bright. He is at or above grade level for each subject of learning in school. The issue that we have is that he is having problems behaving. I am worried that the negative reaction that he received from his teacher might discourage his love of learning. We currently have him on a disciplinary program that is hard and it seems to be working, but I am not sure if the public schools in our area are right for his learning style. One on one, in a calm setting, he does well. Put him in a group that is loud or in a situation where he doesn't agree with what needs to be done, and he misbehaves. If his behavior continues into the next school year or beyond, how can I determine whether home schooling would be beneficial for him? I do not want him to think that he has an "easy out" any time that things in life are not working out as he wants, but at the same time, I want to see him thrive academically.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Gifted or not the issue is the behavior. I have known andcworkedcwith many gifted children who tested high on standard intelligence tests - being gifted does not give any parent or child an excuse for their negative responses at school. To say, "well he's just bored" is a cop out. The real question is do you want to home school your child because it mAkes sense to both of you? If by home schooling your child you feel that you can give him more opportunities for growth and development, better meet his educational needs, and feel up to the challenge - then go for it. I hesitate to say behaivor is linked to boredom because you were right ti say you don't want to teach him he was right and the teacher was wrong. A chd needs to learn hoe to make correct choices in group settings away from mom or dad too. If you hs make it about you and him and his education. Leave out the part of telling him he is bored,
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:37 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• He sounds like my son...I am trying to keep mine doing good in school because I am a single mom and he is going into the 9th if he passes summer school.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:00 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I completely understand. I had this problem all during her school years with my daughter. You have to basically research the teachers. Make sure the teacher is good with students, even students with learning disabilities.. because, well, basically this is. It's nothing to worry about, unless the student is isolated from the group because of misbehavior. I think then it's time to do something. You don't want that child to think there is something wrong with himself.
    Anonymous

• OP here. Thanks for your input, ladies! :-) My son is five. I am just not sure if his issues are because of his age, because of the fact that he was in full-day kindergarten, because of a mismatch between student and teacher, or just because of the structure of the classes and his personality. I know a lot of it has to do with him in general... I'm not in denial about how my kiddo acts sometimes! ;-) Nowadays, it seems that home schooling is becoming a lot more popular in the area in which I live. Most of my close friends still public school their children, but the thought of home-schooling has crossed my mind. But usually, when moms home-school, you hear of them doing so because of personal beliefs regarding public schools... you never quite hear that a mom has pulled a child out of public school because of behavioral problems at a young age, and has home-schooled based on that. I just wanted to see what others thought.
    Anonymous

• At some point do you want him to deal with being able to function in crowds or a structured setting? If that's not a concern for you go ahead and home school. But if you think he needs to get a handle on this, I would keep him school. He won't learn the skills he needs if he's not put in a position to need them.

Anonymous

• OP here one more time... :-) Then I will let you guys comment without popping in as much!

I am part of a very active play group in my town. Plus, I know that there are a lot of home schooling groups in the area. Socially, he will still be very much involved in group settings. I was just wondering if there was an advantage to pulling him from public schools and schooling him at home privately so that he can focus on his academics without being sidetracked by other students and time demands, and then encouraging his group interactions in other ways (structured play, team projects, etc).
    Anonymous

• Many people homeschool for many reasons. Some for religious, some for academic and some for behavior or social issue they were picking up or had in a "school" setting. If you are seriously considering homeschooling as a option the first step is learn about the LAWS in your area. Every state in the USA has it's own laws and every country has it's own as well. What is legal in FL may not be legal in CA and what is legal in CA may not be legal in IL or PA. So know YOUR laws, and be sure you are comfortable with them and can carry them out. After that set goals and find curriculum that will meet your needs. "Secular" curriculum is much hard to find at first via google, but it is possible to find once you know where to look.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:21 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I think you really have to think about it all and weigh it out and decide what'll be best for your son. I am debating home schooling or a charter school for my 7 yr old next year for similar issues. I know the school he'd go to next year in public school would be awful for him and would def affect him in very negative ways that I'm not willing to do to him.
    AddyLeigh

Answer by AddyLeigh at 10:46 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I understand how the loud setting could be an issue. What concerns me is the statement that your child doesn't do well when he is in a "situation where he doesn't agree with what needs to be done." Unfortunately, these situations are part of life whether you are 3 or 83. Your child needs to learn to react appropriately to this. My hope for you is that this is a phase and with a little more maturity this issue will be gone. However, if you homeschool to "protect" your child from doing things he does not want to, you are setting him up for failure.

Will his boss in 20 years let him keep his job if he has problems in a "situation where he doesn't agree with what needs to be done?"

Please don't take this as me trying to be nasty or mean. I am trying give you some honest food for thought.
    mommyjenny2009

Answer by mommyjenny2009 at 2:02 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Your son is bored. Look for a school that will challenge him academically. You many want to join one of the CafeMom groups for mothers of gifted children.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2010