SIDS cause?

Has anyone read up on the toxic gas theory used to explain SIDS? It encourages parents to wrap their mattresses in order to prevent gases generated within the mattress from reaching the baby. The theory states that chemicals used as fire retardants combine with common fungi which grow in mattresses and other areas thanks to the moisture present via baby's sweat, saliva, spit up, urine, etc... When they combine, the fungi ingest the chemicals and release toxic nerve gases as a byproduct. Has anyone read anything more on this theory? Do you think it's legit? I'm debating on whether to buy the mattress cover or making a cover from the correct materials. Anyone here use a cover?

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 9:16 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I haven't read that exact thing but something similar. In Raising Baby Green by Dr. Alan Greene he says "PVC, the surface material used in nearly all baby mattresses, is widely considered to be one of the most toxic and environmentally unfriendly plastics in use today." He goes on, "Phthlates, associated with asthma, reproductive effects, and cancer, make up 30 percent by weight of the PVC..." Then there are the flame retardants, "...a typical baby mattress is also treated with toxic fire-retardant chemicals such as antimony, arsenic, and phosphoruos. Various biocides are often added as well."

We opted for an organic mattress.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:21 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Aren't children's pajamas made out of fire retardent materials also? I haven't heard that theory though.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• We just co-slept and breastfed and didn't stress out over it.
    Anonymous

• Supposedly, it is in all mattress, including OUR's but it doesn't affect us. I am breastfeeding but not co-sleeping...but the lower rate among co-sleeping breastfeeding infants and the few cases I've heard of where baby died while in a parent's arms are the two things I am questioning regarding this theory. If I had known previously I would have gotten a cover or organic mattress in the first place, but it will be a couple weeks before I can get either so I'm slightly concerned. Supposedly, though, no babies have died on a properly wrapped mattress...and you CAN wrap them yourself using materials found at the hardware store (a special plastic the gases can't get through...)
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 9:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Well THIS guy says adults have "physiological factors which allow us to breath the gases without much harm..." IT sounds more convincing the way he puts it. LOL. But then again, that didn't make sense to me either.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I've never heard of this theory. We just have a regular mattress with no special covers and she is now 16 months and doing well
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 9:35 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Well obviously most babies are not dying from it... and used ones are apparently most at risk because the fungi grow with the first baby and then grow more wtih the second. In either event...I'm paranoid on this subject because a close friend lost her son to SIDS two years ago. I attended the funeral and I do not think I could handle going through what she went through...so I am reading up on all I can! I'm doing the fans, breastfeeding, pacifiers once he is feeding well and gaining, back to sleep, etc...and I came across this and since the cover is expensive-ish (for a cover) I am trying to decide if it's worth it...but I'd spend $400 if it was legit...but no way to know I guess. :-(
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Heard the theory, but couldn't afford to wrap our mattress.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:16 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I had a daughter die of SIDS at 6 weeks, so I relied on those "theories" to better protect my 2nd baby. However, I never heard about this one. I blew SIDS off the first time. I never did co-sleep or any of that, but I didn't think SIDS would happen to me...

No co-sleeping, no in home fragrance, no smoking around, in anywhere NEAR me, sleeping on back always, not covering up baby (I never used a blanket), I kept bumpers out of the crib, no toys in crib either, keeping a fan on at all times for good air circulation, refraining from caffeine, etc... I mean there were so many things I did. Fortunately, my daughter will be one in less than two weeks.
    MissMommyK

Answer by MissMommyK at 11:26 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• co-sleeping lowers SIDS. Sids was formerly known as crib death or cot death.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:38 PM on Jun. 7, 2010