• In the Spotlight:

How much do you spend on presents for a birthday?

For when your own kid is turning 7?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I spend $1k every year on my child! I don't regret it!
    Anonymous

• whatever the budget allows...... try and do 3 things.

something they can hold in their hands

something to do/experience

& something long lasting

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:03 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• my DD turned 4 on may 30th............ she got a big girl bike (something to hold) ....... a trip to the water park (something to experience) ..... and signed up for 7 weeks of horseback riding lessons (something long lasting)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I doesn't really matter to a child. If it's something they like, it's all good. They usually don't use the same toys for too long, anyways!
    Amber211

Answer by Amber211 at 10:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My middle daughter turned 7 last year. We spent about $40 on her which is about average. We usually spend between $30 and $50 for each child. Actually sometimes less. They don't need more stuff and really don't deserve more stuff. They don't appreciate what they have and usually lose or break their new stuff in just a few days which ticks me off. Last year my oldest got 1 outfit for her birthday. We spent about $15 on her (plus we went out to eat).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:37 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

something they can hold in their hands

something to do/experience

& something long lasting
    "

This is a really good idea! My son isn't even 1 yet, but I'll remember this for the future! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:11 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• what are some good ideas for long lasting?
    Anonymous

• I go with things that are educational and practical. Last year at age 4 he got Rush Hour Jr so we could play side-by-side although he whizzed through the cards and just used the adult cards with the board, a science experiment kit plus membership to a local science museum, a soccer ball, and some additional tracks for his wooden trains. I spent about $130 total which would be a bit much for just presents IMO but the membership was about half of that and that's a whole year of fun for both of us. He needed the soccer ball for practice and 'needed' the extra track so he could build more complex layouts.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 6:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2010