I have breastfed for 10 months, not producing hardly any milk anymore, baby girl would never take a bottle from the beginning..and now hardly drinks any formula from her sippy cup..what to do?

My daughter never really nursed very long per feeding so I was never really engorged..I think I always jsut kinda produced what she needed. But over the past few months I've just completely dwindled milk production. I don't know if it's stress (my husband is just starting medical school and we just had to move across the country) or if I'm just not drinking and eating enough, but whatever the reason, I just notice that like half the time or more that I nurse her, I don't feel any milk flowing out and she starts to get really frustrated.
She refused a bottle even of my breastmilk from the very first time I ever tried it. So now she uses sippy cups, like for water. And when I put formula in it, she will take like a couple sips and then just turn her head. I mean I can't even get her to drink 4 ounces a day.
I'm really worried she's not getting the calcium she needs. She has solid foods too like yogurt and string cheese

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 10:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds to me like she's ready for baby food. You should ask her doctor about this.
    Amber211

Answer by Amber211 at 10:08 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• You can up your supply. And supply may not actually be the issue with your daughter. Also, if you are the one trying to give her the pumped milk she won't want it. She wants the real deal. And as far as not drinking the formula it tastes nasty compared to breastmilk. Head to the Breastfeeding moms group and tell them your issue, what your daughter is doing. They have great advice.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 10:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• to amber211..sorry what i wrote came out confusing..she eats all kind of baby food...meats, veggies, pasta, yogurts, gerber puffs, fruits of course...but i just meant she eats yogurt and string cheese so i hope that gives her at least some of the calcium she needs..

to soniaL....how can I up my supply?
    LittleMonster22

Answer by LittleMonster22 at 10:30 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• How are her wet diapers. If she isn't getting milk she won't pee. What goes in must come out. I never feel engorged anymore or feel milk flowing, so that is not an indicator.    vist www.kellymom.com and join the breastfeeding moms group.

Drink water, eat oat meal, and pump between feeds to initiate more production, but first b sure there is a problem..

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:09 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Are you nursing before solids? Please do so

If you're giving her yogurt PLUS string cheese .. why are you doing that precisely? Most yogurt and string cheese has more calcium or D than is good for an infant. I suppose a little cup of yogurt every few days wouldn't hurt, but, why are you giving so much dairy? Dairy of any sort isn't necessary at all until she nurses less than 3-4 times per day. Unlikely before a year unless you push solids too hard.

Calcium requirements really aren't that much .. If your supply is actually low I would be more worried about getting enough CALORIES in general since BM has more calories especially way more than any commercial baby food which is mostly water.

Just because she is peeing doesn't mean she's getting enough calories. And not gaining much weight at this age is normal. Is she growing lengthwise tho? Is she behaving normally? Meeting milestones?

Just offer to nurse more.
    Anonymous

• And.. why won't she drink formula? Have you ever tasted it?

Just offer to nurse her more often, before solids, back off a little bit on the solids, she'll get more interested in nursing at a coming growth spurt (probably 11 months - 1 year) and this will all be fine.
    Anonymous

• By the way, there is calcium in fruit and vegetables. Breastmilk really doesn't contain a TON of calcium because baby humans do not need as much calcium as baby cows.. Cows have 3x denser bones than we do. There have actually been cases of hypercalcemia and subsequent osteoporosis in infants of parents who push too much dairy on their infants and toddlers. Be careful with that.

Green veges have lots of calcium. Do your own green veges for her and she will be fine in that department..
    Anonymous

• And vegetable calcium is better absorbed than dairy calcium. :)
    Anonymous

• It is normal to no longer feel your milk let down, not a sign that you have any less milk. It is also normal for your milk supply to decline as baby eats more solids and needs less breastmilk. This is the natural course of weaning. If you feel she is not getting enough milk then all you need to do is to encourage her to nurse more frequently to "tell" your body to make more milk.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:52 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Google "Lactation Supply Boosting Cookies."

Get some Funegreek and Blessed Thistle from you local health food store.

Eat Oatmeal for breakfast.

Take Vitex. I didn't know about the Vitex thing until I started researching it for my fertility. Apparently it's REALLY great for milk supply too. I kept seeing stuff that said "this is good for mother's milk supply" but just kind of ignored it. BUT every since I've been taking it my milk supply is in OVER DRIVE! My son is 11 months old.

Your baby probably won't take the formula because...well formula taste like crap. I accidently drank some before because my sister had it in a cup that was the same as the one I was drinking milk out of. I just took a quick drink without thinking about it or smelling it for that matter. I almost threw up. Breastmilk is sweet. Many people think it taste similar to almond milk.

Get your BM supply up. That's your best option.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Jun. 8, 2010