children & waiting.....

When you're on a plane, bus, a long doctor appointment, etc... what does your kid do? I've always brought a snack, bottle of water, and 1 book or toy each. Now my kids seem like the only ones without a DS or cell phone. Where did patience go and a sense of imagination, conversation, fun waiting games, etc? I am sad...

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 10:12 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I feel the same way. I wont get my kids that stuff. I will get them binoculars and a camera and a journal, so they can explore and write down what they discover. We just got a Durango with a DVD player.. but my kids dont know that and they never will.
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 10:22 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I bring nothing. They just have to sit there as quietly as possible. At offices they find a magazine to look at and just talk with each other.
    They do have a DS but we don't bring it places with us. It is only used at home and is shared by all 4 kids.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:33 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Well I usually bring drinks and snacks for these type of things. My 5 yr old loves to draw so often thats what she has. My 6 yr old does have a DS but it rarely goes with us but sometime if I know its a long wait like social security today so I let him bring it but he has limit. The baby is 2 and she typically is an angel when we are out luckily!
    Anonymous

• I bring a snack and something like a small notepad & small box of crayons or something id I know we're going to have a fair wait. If it's just the dr's office, I bring nothing. We don't fly. We have a DS but it's shared by all the kids and I don't take it out of the house too willingly.
    Anonymous

• We talk, play games like "A is for Apple", etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2010