At what stage does a miscarriage hurt?

I have heard that women can have a miscarriage and not even know. But I had one at just 12 weeks and it hurt really bad. I went to the ER at got morphine.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Health

• I had one at 7 weeks, I definately knew it because the entire placenta came out in one piece, and it was a lot bigger than I expected. As far as pain, I was having pretty bad cramps, but nothing I needed anything other than OTC pain killers for. I could see someone thinking it was just a heavy period with bad cramps if they didn't have the placenta all come out at once.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:36 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I'm sorry for your loss. I've heard that sometimes a really early m/c just feels like a heavy period. But I had one at 11 weeks and it hurt a lot as well. ((HUGS))- I'm sorry you have to go through this. I know when I had mine I wasn't expecting it to be as physically painful as it was, never mind all the emotional pain.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:36 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• 12 weeks is a full third of the way through you pregnancy, I should think it would hurt. I lost my first at only 4 weeks and it hurt. The cramps were horrid.
    Anonymous

• I had one m/c at 6w and one at 12w. Physically the 6w one felt like a really heavy crampy period, but I've always had killer cramps with my periods. I actually had less physical pain with the 12w one. I didn't have much cramping at all, I was having spotting, then my water broke and I started hemmorhaging. They gave my pitocin to try and make my uterus contract but it wasn't working and I ended up needing a d&c in the middle of the night because they couldn't stop the bleeding. So I never really had any physical pain with that one. Really it's going to depend on each individual woman, her pain threshold and how she miscarries.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:32 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My first one was around 4 weeks and it hurt horribly. My second one was around 5 weeks and it wasn't painful at all.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:23 AM on Jun. 8, 2010