girls with autism

My daughter is 12 and has always had autistic tendencies. She likes routines, stims, and loves to swing. All the kids I know that have autism are very outgoing, and love to talk to people. My daughter is opposite, she doesn't like to be around kids, or talk with them. She almost seems very stand offish, and shy, although she actually isn't. This past month she has tested out off speech therapy after therapy since a toddler, which is exciting. So my questions are, do kids with autism act shy? and can they test out of speech? Some people say she has it, others say no she is too connected and can show emotions to well to have it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Health

• Yes they can be shy and I would question what part of speech she tested out of, speech therapy can include learning body language, tone of voice and facial expression. My son is 12 and while he has done really well we are still working on these things with him in speech therapy because as kids age the body posture changes, slang terms are used by peers and so on.

When you say most kids you know with autism are outgoing, I have to question if that is really true. Most children with autism are reserved, shy and standoffish unless this is a person they know very well and even in those cases some children are not even outgoing with people they know well.

Where is your daughter on the spectrum? That makes a huge difference also.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 10:51 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• The tests they used on her she passed. The thing I was confused on as it was mutliple choice and she did figure it out. She knows facial expression pretty well, as in terms of smiling or frowning. I am not sure of the whole speech therapy it did confuse me. They said she comprehends and is able to express her at age level, yet she seems so much younger when she talks than kids her age. They act so grown up, and she is still very young.
    I am thinking the outgoing kids with autism are aspeger's so maybe they may be more outgoing. I just have seen things on specials saying kids with autism want to have friends, and try just can't connect. I think my daughter doesn't think that, she wants to be left alone.
    Anonymous

• Do kids with autism act shy?? It really depends on the kids. I have three on the spectrum and not a single one of them is outgoing. They can test out of speech by either not needing it anymore orhaving progressed as afr as the therapist can take it. I would have your daughter tested by a developmental pediatrician if you're concerned at all about autistic tendencies. I know a few people with autism that you would not know they had it unless you asked them. So you can adapt to life with it, but it's not something you can cure.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2010