• In the Spotlight:

eating in the car .......

do you allow it? or not? what about long trips or outings during meals/snacks?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 10:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• In my hubby's car nothing is allowed. It is perfectly clean and he wants to keep it that way. In my car anything goes. Food, bikes, dirty toys, bunches of kids, it's never clean, but I like it!
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I always did but I noticed that none of my children allow their children to eat in the vehicle.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Not on a normal basis. If we are in the car for more than 2 hours, I will let her have a non messy snack but other than that, we don't.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• yeah of course, i dont see the big deal. i just try to keep it something thats not too messy but hey messes happen, you cant keep everything perfect forever.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:51 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• We do but I hate doing it, I hate the mess that goes with it and i swear one day i will put an end to it lol. On long trips I think it is unavoidable unless you want cranky kids. I would love to not have the kids eat in the car but we are on the go so often that we sometimes dont have a choice.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 10:55 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I eat on the go sometimes being we have many errands and appointments, so yes I do allow her to eat in the car too. I pack us up a lunch or a snack bag to take with us so we are not tempted to eat out. From PB&J sandwhiches, to cheese sticks we carry it w/ us. I even carry around extra juices, water and crystal light single packs. I use a insulated cooler lunch bag.
    flcouple7577

Answer by flcouple7577 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I don't do it for a short car ride. My concern isn't mess, it's that if the child were to choke on the food when I was on the highway or something, it would take me valuable time to pull over and help them. This was more of a concern when they were toddlers. Now I will let them eat if it's a long car ride (ie. a whole day in the car- we go on a family vacation every summer and never fly...) I keep an eye on them in the mirror when they eat because choking, by definition, is silent.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:57 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I do when we are out when it is around a meal. Otherwise she has a cup of water that she takes with her wherever she goes Daddy doesn't allow such things to happen and when he did a few weeks ago I was in total awe. I think he realizes that the car is 6 years old and won't be pristine forever. LOL
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:44 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Sometimes we go to mcdonalds and we all eat on the road on our way to the next town to go shopping, which is 30 miles. we get there and we aren't hungry and don't have to worry about eating in that town. or if we are on the road traveling to see family we go through the drive through and eat in the car just to get back on the highway
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:51 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Depends on which vehicle. The SUV is the family vehicle and they can have snacks in that car, I just make sure to clean it out completely every few days. My car - my very expensive and gorgeous car - no one is allowed to eat in it, or drink in it, or smoke in it. If I pick up one of my brothers or sisters and they're wearing too much cologne/perfume they don't get in the car. I've had it long enough that they know not to take a bath in their cologne/perfume before going somewhere in my car. That rule isn't just because I don't want that stale smell lingering in the car but also because it triggers my asthma.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Jun. 8, 2010