Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Public Assistance question-no bashing!

Ok here is the deal. I got chronically ill, the company I worked for for 8 years went out of business and I'm a single mom getting no child support. Yet when I applied for public assistance six months ago with no income they wouldnt approve me because of assets. I have a 2007 car that I owe 14,000 on but its worth 12,400 so they say I can sell it and have money (which makes no sense I'd be in debt with no car) Anyway how do you get around that on the paperwork? I am one of the people who truly needs the medicaid for my son who also has health problems and we need food! Any ideas? Bashers just don't please. Until you've been here don't judge.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (16)
  • Btw I also didnt qualify for disability for being ill because its a rare condition that isn't understood very well yet. Its impossible for me to work I vomit almost every hour and am so weak it is all I can do to take care of my child. I do work online selling stuff but that doesn't pay the bills and keep us fed if you know what I mean.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • That sounds really wierd to husband was out of work, and we had a car payment, still owed about the same as you and it was worth about the same as yours and we still qualified. We have 3 kids.....
    I wonder why they aren't letting you have PA....

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • oh....but we only get the medical card and other help.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • You may have to sell the car and get a cheaper one. Or you can appeal the decision and see if you can get benefits after appealing. I hate to say it but you are over the assest limit. Reapply for benefits and if denied again, follow the procedures for an appeal. Good luck. And keep applying for social security can take 3 denials before you get an approval.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:15 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • Find a work at home job? Online business? Avon? I don't know about the PA paperwork, but technically they're could sell the car, get a cheaper one, and use the money, so beats me.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • I feel for you really. Appeal the decision. That may be the best option.

    Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:19 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • tyfry if I sell the car I'll realistically get less than the Kelly Blue Book price on it meaning I'll be paying a car payment each month for someone else. I'll still owe two thousand dollars if I sell it then I'll still have to buy a car to drive. Where am I supposed to come up with the money for a new car from and be in debt with an old one? Not snarky I mean really how does that work?

    It seems impossible for people that really are out of luck. As far as other assets go I really lost everything. I lost the house, I've had to sell everything. Its horrible. I actually do sell Avon and anything else I can find online but there really isn't much. I would babysit or something but no one wants someone who is ill to care for their child, which is understandable. I just don't know what to do!


    Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • You applied for SSD? You need to appeal the decision. Don't give up. Social security denies 70% of its applicants their first time around.

    I would sell the car for whatever you can get for it. Make sure you show welfare proof that you sold it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • Wow that is odd. Here in IL you are allowed 1 car no matter the value. They know in order to work u need a car...Good luck, sorry I dont have any other advice!

    Answer by jajumommy2000 at 12:01 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

  • Go to a disability specialist or disability lawyer...thing with Disability they want to see how serious you are and if you get a specialist or lawyer involved they see you are serious and will settle faster...and both types of help will not charge a fee until there is a winning settlement..I have been through this with my daughter who has aspergers...and maybe you will have to just give the car back to the bank if there is still a loan. it isn't fun to do but people do it when they can't afford their car.

    Farmers go through denial with PA because they have farm equipment that is considered assets...

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.