Have you ever told someone that they can't do something?

If you have, what was the reasoning behind it? Was it because you were projecting (saying that you can't see yourself doing that thing) or was it personal (saying that you don't think the person has the ability to do it)?

Do you see anything morally wrong with telling someone they can't do something?

I am speaking of situations where the person either has or can obtain the ability to do it- not far stretched situations.

hollyanne31

Asked by hollyanne31 at 11:11 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Never told anyone they can't do something. Except my daughter....it was milk, and it was way too heavy...she didn't want my help and sure enough it landed on the floor and there was milk everywhere..
    Anonymous

• Yep, I have. About an hour ago, my husband said that he was going to try to train for the 4th of July hot dog eating contest. He can currently probably eat 4 hot dogs max. I told him not only would he NOT be able to do it, but that I wouldn't let him, lol. It's horrible for your health. Thank God he was mostly joking anyways, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:17 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Yes, I have.

I told my daughters that they canNOT eat the foods that I bought especially for their dad because he had oral reconstruction surgery and cannot eat hard, pasty, and certain chewy foods while he is healing.

Surprisingly, many of his foods still disappear because Not Me has moved back into our house.  Our children are 21, 18, and 16 years of age.  Aren't they old enough to know better and care more about their dad?

PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 2:59 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Haven't told anyone they 'can't' do something but I have told my sister she shouldn't do many things. She's nuts.
    Anonymous