should i celebrate father's day for my dh

okay last year my dh's father passed away on father's day from cancer! its been really hard on all of us, he has told me he doesnt care if he gets anything or not but i know our son would get a kick out of giving daddy a card or something so should i and what are some idea's for Father's day?

cutie_pie200619

Asked by cutie_pie200619 at 11:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• I would do it with your son and as well to remember your FIL. I would figure out what your hubby and son like to do together and send them out for a boy's day or find out what your son wants to do with dad and set it up. That really sounds like fun.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:33 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• my son is 2 so i was thinking baking a cake or something and getting him a shirt and a card or something but i was trying to think of something special we dont have much money
    thanks coala
    cutie_pie200619

Answer by cutie_pie200619 at 11:35 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• of course you should! you could all go out to dinner, or you could make him his favorite dinner, get a card or have your son make a card, and maybe pick him a little gift or something ...
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:35 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I absolutely believe you should celebrate father's day. I think he's just hurting b/c his dad is not there. I know that has to be very hard on him and if you do something special for him it will brighten his day. We don't really play into the commercialism of mothers day or fathers day. Our family tradtion for those days are for the kids to help make a big breakfast, and give handmade cards and gifts...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 11:36 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I think you should celebrate Father's Day. I know it's really hard to celebrate when the day is associated with something sad and tragic, but it will help everyone to move on if the pain from those sad memories can be softened by adding happy, good memories to the day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Hey I am in a similar situation, my DH's mother died on father's day. Every year it makes him sad even though he loves to celebrate the holiday. You know what would be nice is to incorporate a memory of your DH's father into the celebration. Maybe plant a tree in his honor (if you have a backyard, we don't) or give him a picture of his dad, framed nicely. Don't try to ignore it -- celebrate his father's life rather than trying to forget for the day. does that make sense?
    madfoot

Answer by madfoot at 1:58 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• yes thank you madfoot im a very good drawer and i thought about drawing a portrait of his dad for him thank you everyone
    cutie_pie200619

Answer by cutie_pie200619 at 2:02 AM on Jun. 8, 2010