Iv'e had my cat for 8 years, I also have a 3yr old & 8 month old. My cat has bitten my son twice for no reason if he happens to be sitting right next to her she'll just bite him this has happened three times

I have tried to find a home for her but no takers, she's always throwing up her food, hairballs that it grosses me out, but my question is would it be mean if I just bring her to a shealter? I'm really a bit nervous with her around my boys

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Pets

• Do you have a basement? maybe you could make that her room and keep her down there so she's not around your kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I would take her to the shelter. Or, I've heard of animal sanctuaries. Your child comes first and foremost. Cats are animals. Don't get it twisted.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 12:55 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I would take her to the shelter in a heartbeat!! Keep your priorities straight!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• A lot of cats are frightened of children. That may the case here. Also, we have a cat who nips when he's looking for attention. It doesn't really hurt, but it can startle you. He's just trying to get us to pet him. If you're hellbent on getting rid of the cat, then you may have to take it to a shelter. If you like her, then you can try to keep your child away from her as much as possible. Most of the time, as the child gets older and settles down a little, the cats will tolerate the kid better. At least that's how it's been at my house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• If there's a PetCo or PetsMart in your area, call and ask to speak with their adoption companies. They will make sure the cat is properly cared for, and I'll be the first to tell you they have strict stipulations, and the person adopting must have great veterinary references, they even do "home checks" where they examine the person's home before allowing the adoption. They have a ton of cats that come through, victims of divorce, moves, owner passes away, etc. They are no-kill too, and do foster programs until the cat can be adopted. Worth calling about!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Two things that stick out are 1) your cat is being aggressive and this isn't normal behavior and 2) your cat is vomiting. You may need to take him to the vet for a check up and be sure to tell the vet about these new behaviors. You may want to have her thyroid levels checked, thyroid disease usually sets in around 8 years of age and when cats don't feel well they tend to become a little aggressive when they normally aren't. Also vomitting is a symptom of thyroid disease. If this IS what is actually wrong with your cat, it can easily be controlled with an inexpensive medication and you will get your normal sweet kitty back. Don't give up on her without getting her checked out first.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like your cat is sick and she should get a check up. The aggression could be a side effect of the illness. My cats are sweet hearts unless they're sick and then the become withdrawn and aggressive towards my kids and the dog - basically any living thing smaller than an adult.
    Anonymous

• IMO a feral cat is happier than a shelter cat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Jun. 9, 2010