Who knows the terms scalawags n carpetbaggers

I'm curious if they are what I think they mean? Has anyone heard these terms in their family or history and such, and please define them as you know them. I only heard about them recently and would like to be sure I understand correctly. Please be anon if u wish, I just want to know the terms as they are meant in American history.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I am sorry I have heard of these names but don't know. :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I think carpetbaggers are what they called people from the North that moved down South after the Civil War... I don't remember Scalawags... is that something that pirates call each other? lol
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:21 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• scalawag was a nickname for southern whites who supported Reconstruction following the Civil War.

"carpetbaggers" was a negative term Southerners gave to opportunistic Northerners who moved to the South during the Reconstruction era, between 1865 and 1877. They often formed alliances with freed slaves and scalawags (southern whites who were Republicans).
    The term carpetbaggers was also used to describe the white Northern Republican politicians who came South, arriving with their travel carpetbags. Southerners considered them ready to loot and plunder the defeated South.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:21 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• hum... I swear that pirates say scalawag lol.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:23 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Hey... Braydenismyson totally just copied and pasted that from Wikipedia...
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:25 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Maybe you are thinking of Scallywag. The word's origins lie, via Scallywag in the Irish language word for drudge or farmservant, "sgaileog". It is a word which appears to be in common modern use within towns that have historic Irish communities in the Northwest of England, predominately Liverpool, where it is sometimes abbreviated to "scall". It is also a derogatory epithet, one that denotes a fashion follower of low class or abilities.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:26 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Duh. They aren't always right, but, if you want to know the answer, just Google that stuff. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:27 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Well you could at least give them credit for it when you post it.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:28 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• If someone is so dumb to not realize I went and got that and copied and pasted it that quick, really, giving credit won't help. They could have easily googled themselves. Geeze.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:30 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Wow, you're charming... Obviously she could have googled it herself but I think she was asking if any of us knew without google. GEEZE.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:37 AM on Jun. 8, 2010