My son has a speech problem, how do I go about potty training?

He turned 2 a couple weeks ago, and I would really like to start trying to potty train him. He has trouble speaking though. Both my husband and I had to have tubes put in our ears when we were young, so we think he might have to eventually too. Should I wait until then, or should I try and find a way to teach him to tell me he has to go potty? What would you do? Or did you do (if you were in this situation)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• honestly kids potty train themselves if you let them. And when u do it that way there is a lot less stress and less accidents. My oldest potty trained at 3 1/2yrs and my 2nd child at 21mo. Both child led. baby signing would great for him too. Another thing is I want to HIGHLY recomend this bk "No More Amoxicillin", by Mary Ann Block. Things like cronic ear infections are often due to a food allergy. When I was a kid I had cronic ear infections, then cronic tonilitus(had removed), then cronic sinus infections till my early 20's when I went off dairy. Suddenly I stopped getting sick. When I had my oldest I found he reacted the same way to dairy. And my 2nd son his trigger was nuts. He would eat one and end up w/ an ear infection the next day. Now my youngest is dairy and eggs. His body is trying to tell you something, u just have to figure out what it is saying.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Have u tried teaching him sign or possibly using pictures.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 1:37 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Don't worry about him telling you.....when you first start, just sit him on the potty every couple of hours. It may take days before he actually goes in the pot, but when he does, act very excited (we call this doing the pee pee dance in our house), and give him a piece of candy....eventually, he'll get it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• We used PECS (you can google it - it's a picture system) when we potty trained my oldest because he had a speech delay.

Answer by missanc at 10:44 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• The sign for "Toilet" is to make a fist with your thumb sticking up between your index finger and middle finger. Then you make a circular motion with your fist mimicking flushing water. Its very simple. A child doesn't have to be able to speak in order to potty train. I love the book Diaper Free Before 3 by Karen M. Lekovic. She is a pediatrician and mother of 3. I personally don't train as early as she recommends but I like the way she goes about it. I took the things I liked and left the rest. I'm not an advocate of delayed potty training. I've done it both ways and strongly prefer training earlier rather than later. Of all my children, the child who has the best bladder control is the child I started training around 15 months.
    Dabberdoo

Answer by Dabberdoo at 10:57 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I would wait until he's 3.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jun. 8, 2010