Mad at teacher

I got my child's report card in the mail today and I am mad because the comments section is less than glowing. I had continued problems with this teacher during the school year, as I felt she was singling out my son for what she called "immature behavior." It's kindergarten, ALL the kids act this way. I am trying to get my kid out of public school and into a good private school. I need to turn in his report card and I am afraid her nasty comments are going to keep him out. I emailed her and she said this about the comments and her refusal to take them back: "I understand it can be upsetting to hear negative things about your child. However, I strive to be frank and honest in this situation. The report card is a legal document that must reflect your child's actual performance. I am unwilling to change the comments I wrote about *****."

Read the comment below. How can I get this GARBAGE off my kid's records?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Jun. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• ***** has begun to take greater responsibility for his own actions and can now verbalize that he is ultimately responsible for himself. ***** has also started to connect positive and negative consequences to his actions.

***** has continued difficulty showing consistent respect towards teachers and other adults at school. As we have discussed previously, ***** frequently talks back when he is corrected.

***** continues to struggle with working independently. He needs to understand that school is not always place to play. I am concerned that ***** will have difficulty with the greater independence expected in first grade unless he learns to conduct himself appropriately.

***** has strong academic and creative skills. If ***** can combine this with positive behavior, he will be able to perform at a very high level in the classroom next year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Why do you feel that she has singled him out?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• OP Here - He was the only Black child in the class and I think the teacher keyed in on him for that reason.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• so, your kid is misbehaving cuz he's black?? sheesh
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds to me like the teacher was being honest. Sometimes the truth stinks.

To me it sounds like you want this whole thing to be someone else's fault.
    mommyjenny2009

Answer by mommyjenny2009 at 2:05 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• She also says so some very positive things. There doesn't seem to be anything inappropriate about the comments. Ans she's right, she can't change her descriptions of your son's performance because you don't like them.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 6:31 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• It sounds to me like your child has made many improvements over the course of the school year.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:55 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• to me it sounds like you want this whole thing to be someone else's fault

i was thinking the same thing...and it sounds like this is what you may be teaching your son too, when reading the first two comments from the teacher.

it sounds like you have a lot of reasons to be very proud of your son, the improvements made, and the strong academic and creative skills.

i have also heard that intelligent, creative children like yours can easily get bored in class, so it may take a special teacher for your child. start talking to other moms in the school and maybe you will find a teacher that may be better suited for your son.

meanwhile, you could talk to your son about how to behave in the classroom, and how to talk to his teachers. it could make school easier for him in the future.

good luck mama!
    be sure to pat your son on the back for his improvements!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:32 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Yeah...Your kid has issues and so do you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I agree with PPs. It's not an entirely "bad" report and it certainly doesn't seem like she's gunning for him or anything. I completely agree with what the teacher said about not taking the comments back. It sounds like you want the teacher to blow smoke up yer butt about how wonderful your son is and that's not what she's there for. She's there to give a fair and honest assessment which it sounds like she did. If you don't like it maybe you should examine why. And to try to blame it on the fact that he's the only black kid in class?! Ridiculous!! You completely invalidated any legitimate claim you may have had by trying to pin it on race. It shows your true colors. You're not helping your child in the slightest by your reaction to this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Jun. 8, 2010