How old were your kids when they started clipping their own finger and toe nails?

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 2:06 AM on Jun. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• My dd started when she was 9 and does a pretty good job. She is a kid that likes to do things for herself so it wasn't a pain to get her started w/it. I do have a problem with her seeing it's time for a clipping though at times. A reminder helps and she just says, I was going to do it tomorrow. Really??!! lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:35 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My kid is nine and he still doesn't do it himself! I was just thinking about this question last time I was clipping his nails. Good question I will need to come back and look at the answers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My 7 yr old daughter wants to do it herself and she tries, but I still have to help her in the end. I don't let her do her toes though because she cuts them too short and they get ingrown.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I've been letting my 11 yr old daughter do it some of the time since she was 9/10, but I still have to help at times. Making them even or just helping with her right hand (she's right handed). I have to order my 15 yr old son to do his though. Boys are yucky. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My 4 y/o DS just started clipping his own not too long ago. He is a "do it yourselfer" so whenever it is time to trim his nails, I just supervise him while he's doing it and help when needed.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 5:39 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• my DD is 10 - I still have to do it for her, she really doesn't seem to care if her nails are dirty and torn.
    my DS is 6 and has been clipping his own for over a year now... he is the one who likes nail polish and pedicures etc so it makes sense that he is more interested in clipping his own.
    Angelbluewingsz

Answer by Angelbluewingsz at 7:08 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My oldest started around the time she turned 9 (she's almost 10 now). My almost 9yo son hasn't tried yet but that will probably be the next thing he learns. My 7yo daughter bites her nails. I haven't had to trim her fingernails since she was 2 and I'm being absolutely, seriously literal.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:54 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Mine are 9 and 8 and I still clip them. They have no interest in doing it themselves. Perhaps when they are a little older?? I don't know. Then again I know adults that NEVER do that stuff, they just go and pay for someone to do it ALL the time. (i.e. manicures/pedicures).
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 8, 2010