How do you know? (breastfeeding question)

How do you know if something you ate has upset the babies tummy? I've heard chocolate does, and my ds was really fussy yesterday and i ate losts of chocolate, but how can i tell when it's food and whne it's just him having a fussy day/night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 AM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• just treat her symptoms that she is having.

you can't really KNOW for sure it may just be coincidence.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:02 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Babies normally give some type of physical indication of what is bothering them. Watch him closely, and if you see him consistently touching any particular part of his body while he's being fussy, then that's more likely than not the cause. It could be anything from gas, to his shoes being too tight, but he'll try to show you the best way he can. Just watch him. But as far as nursing goes, he absorbs what ever you absorb. Just be mindful of that when you're consuming things. If some specific food gives you gas, or indigestion, chances are they'll do the same to the baby. While you're nursing, eat as many fresh fruits and veggies' as you can. And just keep an eye on him. You'll both be fine! Your body has been communicating with this baby since conception. Trust your instincts and read about what ever doubts you may have.
    Dmommy4

Answer by Dmommy4 at 3:05 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I don't think there is a way to know 100% short of actual allergic reactions some children get to their mama's diet. I would avoid any chocolate for a couple weeks, then try again. If he acts fussy after you eat the chocolate, you'll know to stay away from it. Especially if your chocolate consumption isn't a regular thing, it very well could have given him gas.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 10:21 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Trial and error. Go 2 days with no chocolate and see if the fussing stops. Then on the 3rd day try a candy bar and then see if the next feeding makes him fussy again. Not all babies are sensitive to chocolate. Mine handle it just fine (all 3 did), unless I really binged on it.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:23 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I agree with trial and error. I finally found out that my daughter did not like anything with tomatotes in it. She would get really bad acid reflux and spit up if I ate anything the day before with tomatoe in it. Once I figured it out, I would try it every once in a while to see if she had gotten over it and she never did. If I didn't eat tomatoes she was perfectly fine. I did remember that when I was pregnant with her and I would eat Pizza I would get really bad acid reflux. Maybe think of things that bothered you when you were pregnant? Not sure if that helps.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 5:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• every baby is different what upsets some, may not effect others. Your best bet is to eliminate it from your diet for several days, then re-introduce it and see if it upsets your LO again.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My dd was sensitive to chocolate. I couldn't eat it till she was almost a yr. old!!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2010