Does WIC ask about bank accounts to qualify?

Both DH & I lost our jobs and our only source of income is DHs unemployment. We Qualify for WIC based on our weekly income, but will they ask about savings? I have a savings account with a decent amount of money in it, but it is not my money. Will they ask about my accounts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• No they will not ask you about bank accounts. If you go to the wel-fare office and try to get food stamps and reach-up then you will need proof that the money in that accou nt is yours but your not allowed to touch the money and with the fact you and hubby aren't working you may want to to look into trying to food stamps. GL to you and your family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I don't know if it varies state by state but here in Oregon all they need to see is a paystub or some other proof of income. They did not ask about bank accounts. If you have state medical they don't even need proof of income.
    krystie-tina

Answer by krystie-tina at 3:17 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Absolutely NOT! All they require is your proof of income: an access card if you get public assistance, photo I.D. for yourself, B-certs. and S.S. cards for your kids and something with your current address on it. THAT'S IT. And just so you know, they've added more shit to the menu of things you can get from that market that are W.I.C approved, like tuna fish and bread. But in answer to your question, NO they won't look at your bank accounts. Since the entire Women, Infants & Children organization is non profit, it would be illegal for them to request that information from you. It's like them asking you if you "black", you dig? They can't do that. So worry not, and I wish the best for you and yours.
    Dmommy4

Answer by Dmommy4 at 3:20 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Everyone else was right... WIC won't ask about your bank account. But like the one gal said, they will ask if you ever apply for food stamps or other assistance,. They look back on a certain period of time to see what the ongoing balance in your accounts were. You won't be able to stock pile savings in your name (your money or not) and still be able to receive assistance (food, money, etc). Just wanted to note this in case you end up applying for food stamps too! :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Yeah I would stash that cash now before you need food stamps or it will all have to be gone before you get it
    Anonymous

and this is EXACTLY why so many people bash PA. Way to go anon!
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• OP HERE
    mamakirs - the money is not mine. I'm hoping to not need food stamps or anything else, just a little hopefully temporary help. That's why I thought about WIC.
    Anonymous

• OP, I refering to the person who suggested you stash cash....
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:52 PM on Jun. 9, 2010