Thumbsuckers

My son was a binky baby. I cut his cold turkey at age 2. Poof it was gone! But my daughter never cared for the binky as a newborn. She was instantly a thumbsucker. And she still is at 23 months old. How and when do i break her from this thumbsucking? I had more control over a binky but how do i break her off the thumb?? This is new for me and i dont want her to grow still sucking on a thumb at age 4 or something. Any ideas or experience with this??

NathansMommy218

Asked by NathansMommy218 at 3:04 AM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know many people that have said " oh theyll eventually stop on their own."
    and i also know some people that have known others that sucked their thumb until they were like 6 or 7...

If it were my child, i would constantly be telling her shes not a baby anymore, dont suck your thumb. and make her take it out..

maybe its a security thing?? if so i would find an item toy or something that she can feel secure with instead of that thumb, but if you are going to tell her to stop doing it, stick to your guns and do it every time, be consistent.

then again its ALLLL up to how you want to do it. GL!! :)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:08 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• True. But she just sucks her thumb when she is tired and when she lays down to sleep. She doesnt walk around all day with her thumb in her mouth. And she does have 2 security blankets! She has had them since birth and is very attached to them. When shes tired she grabs her little blankie and puts her thumb in her mouth, holding her blankie up to her face. I'm just trying to figure out how to break her from it before she gets too old and it doesnt look cute anymore. My neice sucked her thumb til about age 5! And my own brother sucked it til he was a teenager! He would hide from my mom cuz she would get mad at him when he did being so old already! So i'm like oh no!! lol.
    NathansMommy218

Answer by NathansMommy218 at 3:15 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• lol
    anytime i saw her with it in there i would just calmly say "___take your thumb out of your mouth."
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:18 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• when did u start (what age) and when did she finally break free from it?
    NathansMommy218

Answer by NathansMommy218 at 3:19 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My oldest still sucks his thumb and I have no intentions of breaking him of it. He only does it when he is tired so it isn't hurting anything. He will be 4 next week. My favorite college professor sucked her thumb until she was 14..
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:28 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• She's not even two yet.. I wouldn't give it a second thought. She'll stop when she's ready. For most thumbsuckers, it gives a sense of security and/or they use it to soothe themselves. Why would you want to take away your kids' security or method of soothing? It's just a thumb, after all. And lots of people think it's cute. My friend's daughter is almost 2 and she has a blanky and sucks her thumb and I think it's darling. She looks like a female version of Linus from Peanuts.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 9:04 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My daughter is 21 months and is a "two finger suker" ... I didn't think it was anything to worry about yet. She only does it when she is going to sleep, while she sleeps, and whenever she sees her blankie (it's sooo cute, she will drop to the floor wherever she sees her blankie -- in the kitchen, whatever -- and suck her fingers. I figure I can't control it while she's sleeping, and she probably still needs the comfort.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:28 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My daughter sucked hers until she was 12 years old, and I tried it all. It had to be her idea. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I think in some cases its very hard to get people to stop considering you can't take it away. I stil suck my thumb when I'm in bed and tired and I'm 28.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My son is 5 and still sucks his thumb to fall asleep with his blanket rubbing against his face. I sucked my thumb until I was 8. I quit on my 8th birthday because I figured then that I was too big. Blankets stay on the bed and when he's tired is the only time he does it too. It doesn't bother me because it stays on the bed and only happens in bed. I just figured that like me, he would quit on his own.
    midnightshadow2

Answer by midnightshadow2 at 11:32 AM on Jun. 8, 2010