Do you think sting operations are BS?

Like when they send a 20 year old who looks like she's 30 into a restaurant to get a beer in hopes that they won't i.d. her? Or that show "To Catch a Predator" I hate pedophiles just as much as the next person, but a lot of these chats go on for weeks and the fake 14 year old says some pretty dirty shit to the guy! I suppose the guy thinks well, "she's going to do it anyways." I just wonder how they are even legal, it's basically entrapment. What do you think?
For the record, I'm not defending anybody, I was just thinking...What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 AM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It isn't entrapment. Entrapment is coercing someone to do something they would not have otherwise done. And I have no problem with stings.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:41 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• That's funny you say that Carpy because I asked a family friend who is a judge and he feels the same way I do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:46 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I agree with Carpy, and I agree that sting operations are necessary to catch the bad guys--and getting a bunch of them at one time is excellent!!

Of course, my absolute favorite sting operation is the one where LE sends criminals letters indicating that they've won "something" (cash, spa treatments, new TV, etc.), and to claim it all they have to do is go to the address in the letter, and there waiting for them is LE! HA HA!!

Leave it to CRIMINALS who respond to claim something for nothing!!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:15 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Hahahaha. My fav too LoriKeet. I also agree with Carpy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I have absolutely no problem with stings.
    If they were not doing something wrong, then they couldn't be caught doing it.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 8:33 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I don't have a problem with stings. I don't care what sort of dirty stuff a so called kid says to an adult on the internet. The adult shouldn't "go there". That's like saying, well, my neighbors forgot to lock their car, so I might as well be the one to take it out for a joy ride, because someone's going to. It's no excuse.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:38 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Nope, no problem with stings.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:30 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• i love it. need to do more. I would even be happy to help.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:36 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• The thing about stings is that the MOMENT someone finds out they are dealing with a minor they should stop ALL communication. just because a MINOR is making poor choices it doesn't mean the adult should help out.

As far as the underage buying drinks, ehe, whatever. Most people that get in trouble for not IDing are plain lazy. If you are in the job where you should ID then ID, it is part of your job. Otherwise you risk being fired. Personally, if I owed a place like that, I would set up my own stings and get rid of the people too lazy to do their jobs.
    beanielips

Answer by beanielips at 9:58 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• but a lot of these chats go on for weeks and the fake 14 year old says some pretty dirty shit to the guy!

If they are saying it to the undercover cop, they are saying it to the OTHER 14 yr olds...Alot of them guys admitt that they have done something similiar before and they were "trolling" for kids...the "TRAP" didnt make them do it

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2010