Would you take an infant on an airplane? How old should they be

We want to go to visit our parents with our 2 month old, its a 2 hour flight. How old should a baby be to do this? I am nervous with the H1N1 virus and other Flu bugs going around. I told my huband we should wait until the baby is 6 months old. How long would you wait?

wood1980

Asked by wood1980 at 8:49 AM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you are breastfeeding, your baby will have your immunity for about six months. Now is much better than later.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:51 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• We went when my daughter was 5 months.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:07 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• we went on our first flights with DD and twin DS's when they were around 7 months. It just happened to be when we were going. I would have taken them on earlier.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I took my oldest on 8 hour flight at 7 months. Honestly, I think it would have been easier if we'd gone a few months earlier. A 2 hour flight is pretty short, so I'd say 3 or 4 months would be a good time. Also, if you wait until 6 months it will be cold/flu season again; you're likely to have much less exposure to colds and flus during the summer months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Does baby nap at a certain time? If so i'd plan your trip around that time. My parents took me on a plane for the first time when I was 2 months old. And I was born in November, so this was prime cold/flu season. They said I did fine. The first time I flew with a baby was when my oldest was 9 months old...it would have been so much easier if she were younger, but she did sleep *most* of the 4 hour flight. I also agree with rkoloms, if you're BFing, baby will be protected from any germies.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 10:15 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• The biggest fear of course is exposing him/her to germs, but I wouldn't worry if you are nursing. I would carry her in a sling, and kept close to my body that way.....nurse her a lot. There have been incidents recently with silly flight attendants being offended by moms nursing so the sling will help you keep it as discreet as possible so they perhaps won't even know....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Jun. 8, 2010