Christian "rights"

I've come across responses in this section (as well as in the Journals section) posted by some Christians who really seem to believe that they are losing some rights to non-Christian groups. I've asked this before, but haven't gotten any valid responses. What are these rights (as granted in the Constitution) that have been lost only to Christians?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 8:56 AM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• None if they really want to know about religious rights being taken away they should spend some time in Columbia are the middle east. JMHO

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 9:00 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Whoops *or*
    oldermomof5

• The constitution says that congress shall not pass any laws that promote a specific religion or prevent the free expression of one's religion. So, when someone says that their rights are being violated as a christian they are talking about being prevented the free expression of their religion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Free expression of their religion in what forum? How has a Christian's right to express their religion been hindered?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Anon :23, I think you are confusing free expression with imposing those beliefs on all. Where, specifically, are you prevented from your expression of religion--keeping in mind that there is also the clause that disallows our government from sanctioning any particular religion?

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:43 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I think the Christians in this Country have been privileged, and now that time are a changin' they are having tantrums like little babies all because those of other faiths and beliefs want to be treated fairly.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:45 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• IhartU I think the Christians in this Country have been privileged, and now that time are a changin' they are having tantrums like little babies all because those of other faiths and beliefs want to be treated fairly

I agree but I see it as a few who really think this way. Most don't and are very happy to be a country where all forms of religion is recognised.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 9:53 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Thank you, oldermomof5, for that reminder. It is certainly not all, nor even most, Christians who seem to believe this, but a few very vocal ones, and it is to them that I post this question. I'm asking it, by the way, not to be contentious, but to understand what they think they really have lost, because I don't see that they've really lost anything.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:14 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I think what they are "losing" is the majority and that frightens them to no end. With the growing pagan, atheist, muslim etc populations in this country they are starting to realize that they are no longer Big Man on Campus and will have to concede to treat every religion the same, which ruffles feathers. They don't WANT to treat all religions the same; they want christianity to be favored. The pendulum is finally starting to swing in the other direction in this country and I think it scares the crap out of them to think their religion might be given as little consideration as they've given other religions in the past.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• IhartU and anon10:20 have hit the nail on the head.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:24 AM on Jun. 8, 2010