Is it fair that you stay at home

because you have so many children you cannot afford daycare, so therefore, you cannot get a job? Is that fair that you are living off of welfare, food stamps, etc? What if they made FREE daycare, would you then go out and get a job and stop using daycare as an excuse??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Ok, as I read your question, I can understand where you are coming from. No, it's not fair that people who cannot afford it keep having children. If you have so many children that you simply cannot work, it's wrong. Personally, I have been on both sides of the fence, minus the PA. I like working. It makes me a better person for doing so. Therefore, we have never needed PA. Now, do I feel different to those moms, like the Octomom, most definitely. But I do read that many people stay at home because they think it's their right. I feel it's a right, only if you can afford to do so. Otherwise, I feel that if you are an able bodied adult, with say, two kids, and you need money, that yes, you should be working. I do it. It's a struggle, but we make money. We go on vacations. We put food on the table and the kids can mostly do what they want to do. I really wouldnt' have it any other way.
    anony-mous

Answer by anony-mous at 10:43 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I think that you are assuming all people with large numbers of kids fall into this category. Is it fair that you judge all by the shortcomings of some?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:02 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Life isn't fair. Get over it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:12 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Umm, actually, I stay at home, and my dh and I have never gotten PA. The cost of daycare was NOT the reason we chose for me to stay home, and, as my kids are school age (in fact, they are both teens in school), it hasn't even been a consideration for our reasons for me staying home.

I spend my time volunteering - and not just the occasional hour here and there, either, btw. We choose for me to be a SAHM for, among other reasons, we move so much and dh is gone so much because of his job (he's in the Navy), we have found it's better for our family for me to not work, so there's always someone home to chaperon trips, attend their events, and manage things here.

Lazy or childcare costs have nothing to do with our personal choices - just like some women work because they like it, not because they need the money. Don't paint everyone with the same brush...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:13 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I have stayed home because day care cost to much. My first two are 16mos aprt and I have went to school most of the time off of hold your breath GRANTS...SOme of the time we have had medical coverage but other than that we provide for the kids. But now we do not have that. Now we have three and the first two are older so now I am going back to work and I will do school too. Its not fair because we need another income but now since we really just have the baby I figure I can find someone for her but she is 2 just my baby.

I really do not love putting any kid especially under 2 in day care. Day care help is ha ha where is the money! Its hard as heck to even get that where I am.

you are very judgemental so get over yourself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• it would be very much worth it for me to just stay at home and collect PA... i have 2 DD, 1 on the way... do you know how much that is a WEEK?!? $300. i make $600 a month... the ONLY job i can get. is it worth it? no way...
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 9:28 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• and btw, i still work and send my girls to daycare... part time. i am a newly single mom. i get foodstamps... thats all.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 9:29 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I don't work outside the home because my son has autism and we do not have anyone to watch him for his sick days and vacation days. Who is going to hire me if I tell them I can't work any school holidays,all summer,and every other Wednesday i have to leave an hour early? If I worked weekends I'd never see my husband because he works 10-12 hr days.My son requires a one on one aide so a place like the Boys and Girls club is out of the question.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:35 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• There is nothing fair about life. Is it fair that I have spent 25 years as a homemaker (not on welfare), raising my kids, taking care of my family, sacrificing any kind of career for myself outside the home because I thought it was best for my kids only to lose all benefits promised me through my husbands company over the years? When I made this decision, I would share in his retirement benefits and also get his pay if he suddenly died or was disabled. Now all of that is gone...is it fair? Hell no, it isn't fair, but it's reality and I have to deal with it whether I like it or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Life's not fair, now is it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Jun. 8, 2010