Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do i get my daughter to get closer to me , when i live in florida and she lives in kentucky ?

we have been separed since she was 9 months old , she was raised by her grandparents/ i saw her 2 times , and shes 27 years old now .

Answer Question

Asked by junelady at 10:17 AM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Tread very carefully. Does she want a relationship with you? If she doesn't, you need to respect that. If she does, start with email and facebook, or calling her once a month on the phone, etc. Relationships don't just happen, they have to be built over time....send her cards for her birthday, etc......

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

  • Honestly if she has a family there, and you could move there move. If you are raising a family here, then you should try to schedule at least twice a year taking turns visiting each other, and facebook so you both can keep track.

    If you have a wonderful connection now, and you know nothing can pull you apart. You should relocate if you don't have to relocate your children.

    Ask her for help, find a job before you move and a apartment.

    You only live once, enjoy life and do what is best for you and your family.

    Answer by KFree907 at 10:24 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

  • you should move near her then. you were the one that abandon her. don't expect her to come easily to you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

  • Contact, contact, contact. If moving closer isn't an option, then do what you can to make frequent contact - phone calls, e-mails, Facebook, visiting...

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

  • just let it go.... she didnt mean much to ou before why do you care sooo much all of a sudden? you'll probably bring up alot of pain and resentment so tread carefully

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

  • You don't. This is something you should have addressed looong ago. You don't deserve to be close to her now.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

  • If she wants to establish a relationship with you, try skyping! It's great. I skype with my parents every Sunday -- that way they can see my son. They're in Florida and I'm in NY. It's the next best thing to being with them.

    Nobody knows your situation so don't listen to all the bashers. You know in your heart what happened so whatever it was you're obviously trying to change everything now. Good luck to you!

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

  • Try to have a relationship her grandparents instead as a first step. I’m sure over time they will tell her what kind of person you are now. She has to seek you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

  • start with facebook then move on to SKYPE....if you do not know about SKYPE then google it and get started, you will need a web cam.
    also you may need to start with yourself and deal with what happened and when you accept that and forgive the cicumstances then you may begin to have to heal on your end in order to help her heal on her end

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.