When people talk down about people on PA...

do you think they consider people who receive college grants as being on PA? DH and I both receive full grants, and if we didn't we wouldn't be able to go to school. So I'm curious if people think badly of us and think "we're feeding off the government" b/c of this, or is it different b/c we're in school and trying to become financially independent?

renea20

Asked by renea20 at 10:36 AM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No, they should not but Yes people do.

My cousin married a woman from wealth. She don't do anything, yet has everything and my family is hard working. So, that makes us bad people, she has said some snyde remarks too some of my family members.

I say money does not make a person, it is who you are inside.

Homeless people have more class then some wealthy people, well off people, even working middle class. Money can't make everyone happy but being your self, and loving your self will.

Do what you have to do? But always remember how you worked so hard to get there and never be little the people who are doing as you do when you succeed, because you will.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:42 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• It's because it makes them feel superior.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:37 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• You make a good point. Both my husband and I are on grants as well.
    But if you think about it. regaurdless of peoples' intentions to get a job or support themselves while they are on PA....every state has a limit to the amount of PA you can recieve. For example, IL is 60 months....all together wether it's a couple months here or a year or two there. Once you've had 60 months of assistance, you can no longer recieve any aid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• i don't think bad about college grants because in my state they are mostly paid for by lottery.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:40 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Do you really care that much about what other people think of you? It's what you think of you that matters...not what I think of you.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:42 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• i think gov grants are a great idea for bettering our country. as where most of the other programs make it possible to stay dependent on the gov, grants send you to school so you can support yourself.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• School is one thing and no, grants are not considered PA. PA is food stamps, medicaid, cash assistance, etc. The only time I've ever known anyone to "talk down" about people on assistance is when the receiver is not working (and not because of any disability) or lost their job last week and instead of looking for another job right away, rush to the welfare office instead. It doesn't have anythign to do with superior feelings. The truth is that PA could be avoided by working and sometimes you have to move to find a job. We did. Our families are in other states. It's hard but we're not living off the system either. But honestly, what does it matter to you if someone doesn't like that you got a grant for college? You're bettering yourself and when you are done with school and working, you'll be contributing and putting money back in.
    Anonymous

• I honestly have no idea if anyone I know is even on PA. It just doesn't come up in every day conversation. If they told me they were then I would still think nothing of it. Not my business to judge or me any kind of a moral compass for them. If you qualify then you should use it. That is why it's there. If you are lying then, well, that sucks but I can do nothing about it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I don't necessarily think college grants are PA, but I don't agree with them either. I think if people want to get loans to go to school that's fine, but the government should not by paying people to go to college!
    Anonymous

• college grants are pa they are because you cannot afford to pay by yourself so you rely on the taxpayers to do it for you. a college education is a privilege not a right.
    Anonymous