sleep question

My almost 1 year old has recently decided that sleeping is not an essential part of his life. I know he's at the age where he doesn't want to miss anything, but how can I encourage healthy sleep? I know he's tired, so I lay him down for a nap and he stands up in his crib and plays then cries... I lay him down again and he does it all over again. Sometimes he'll eventually fall asleep, but other times after 1-2 hours, I just get him up and try again in a few hours. Same thing goes at night time. I don't want him to think his crib is this awful place to be, but I want him to get the rest he needs too! Any advice? Thanks much!

TarraJoy

Asked by TarraJoy at 11:08 AM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• During the day let him sleep wherever. Babies can fall asleep with activity around and often sleep longeer. I wear my 8 1/2 month old when i caccum/laundy/dishes/etc and she falls asleep. I don't make her fall asleep at set times though. When she's tired she sleeps
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I used to turn all of the lights off in the house and take him out to the sofa in the living room and do nothing but lie there. He thought it was boring and eventually fell asleep. I'd only do that as a last resort though otherwise I'd let him stay in his crib if he was just fussing and not screaming.
    Anonymous

• if napping during the day is keeping him up at night, forgo the day nap. i know, i know....if all else fails go for a car ride,i live on a farm, so i go for a drive when he's overtired and refusing to sleep, he passes out, and then i just park the car in fron of the house where i can see him from my kitchen window, make sure the car win dows are open a bit, and let him sleep....not theres anyone around to kidnapp him.....lol anywho, you can't let him win, he wins one war, he'll keep trying. let him stay up and play once, your done, and only put him down for a nap if you can tell he's tired.
    daughterofearth

Answer by daughterofearth at 4:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2010