How do I care for a stray kitten?

I just found a stray kitten. It's very friendly, seems healthy. Has a few fleas that I can notice. Is able to eat hard food, and is lapping at water. I live far out in the country, I'm guessing someone dumped the poor thing last night.

What do I do from here? I know that sounds dumb, but I've never had a cat before. We're on a pretty tight budget too...

shabby.chic

Asked by shabby.chic at 11:10 AM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Pets

• vet will sort out all that, be sure she is wormed too- very important if you have kids -but might be a little costly for the initial visit, but worth it -you can buy flea control at the supermarket it's just a tiny pipette of liquid you put on the back of the neck where they can't lick. She needs kitten food and water left where she can access, then lots of love, cuddles , a warm place to sleep. Good luck with your new kitty, we love our cats ~
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 5:17 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• How old is it? A baby still? Kitten chow would be the most beneficial. They don't eat much, feed them twice a day. Make sure it has water. If its going to be an outdoor kitty you could provide a box or some kind of shelter for it to crawl into to sleep with a blanket or towel. Sometimes the humane society will provide shots and a check up for it to make sure its healthy. I really think you should get it the shots it needs though. Thank you for being a caring person and considering taking care of it. People need to think before getting a pet. Makes my heart ache to know it was just dropped off somewhere.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:27 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• http://www.aspca.org/adoption/10-ways-to-help-stray-cats.html
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 11:16 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• thanks!
    shabby.chic

Answer by shabby.chic at 11:16 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I agree with the PP but young kittens should be fed more then twice a day. You could either leave food out for it or feed it 3-4 times a day depending on how old you think it is. You should take it to the vet for shots and get some revolution for the feas because flea on a small kitten can make them anemic. GL with your new kitty
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 11:40 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• ok, thanks for all the tips guys! i'll see if my husband can take him to the vet tomorrow-hoping it won't cost too much! i'm guessing they can deal with the fleas there? ah, this little kitten has my heart already darnit lol.
    I can't tell how old it is, but if I guessed, it would be at least 2 months.
    shabby.chic

Answer by shabby.chic at 11:52 AM on Jun. 8, 2010