Would you be willing, out of the kindess of your heart, to allow a foreign exchange student to live with you for free?

Sometimes it's nice just to be nice, moving beyond my own greed. I would never begrude a teenager food or a place to stay, as long as they're working towards something constructive. It's good enough for me to be making an investment in their future, mine, the community at large and the world. During this process I also get the invaluable lessons of experiencing another culture, while sharing my own.

Ewadun

Asked by Ewadun at 11:10 AM on Jun. 8, 2010 in

• I sure would if we had a room. My parents hosted a Brazilian student when I was in middle school and it was a great experience for both sides. He was from Sao Paulo and was fascinated by life on our mini farm and thrilled to experience a Michigan winter! They stayed in contact with him for many years, receiving an invitation to his wedding and pictures of his wife and family later.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• If we had the room, I would love to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• No, I wouldn't. But I would be interested in fostering, even if the state didn't pay.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• All they require is their own bed with a frame, of course. Most have come from countries and homes, with far less to offer. They also have insurance and a monthly spending allowance. They just wanna experience being an American teenager!
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 11:14 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• i don't know..teens can gobble up a ton of food. Maybe if they were given money for food and entertainment i wouldnt care. I wouldnt take it from them i would let them keep it as their own money.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:22 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I've actually looked into it and told my dh about it and he was like "hell no ,they could be a terrorist, i'm not housing a terrorist"..he is so dramatic.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I think that is a wonderful idea, and God Bless you for opening your home up to a stranger. I really don't think I would be comfortable with doing that. Good luck!!

Be sure they tidy up and have chores. They must hold some responsibility for staying there, you don't want to teach them everything is for free. So if they help with the dishes, help around the house that is completely constructive, keep there room tidy. Lay the rules down at arrival so there is on conflict.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:28 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• The students are given a $200 monthly allowance for personal expenses. I think that if my meals weren't sufficient, hey, dig into your own expense money for chips, dips, sodas, special soaps, shampoos, school lunch money, etc. LOL. Check out website:
    www.ciee.org/highschool. Please feel free to contact me personally for any other questions.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 11:31 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Honestly, probably not.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:59 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• No. I don't even let relatives stay with us anymore.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

Next question in
Online colleges

Next question overall (Babies (0-12 months))
sleep question