Is opening my own daycare really worth it?

Sorry ladies, accidentally deleted question when trying to edit some details

Wanting to open my own daycare in the home have been working in child care now for eight years. Im paying out 1500 a month in child care expenses for my own children. Staying home with other toddlers is scary because of the demand of it being your own business.

Still1hotmamii

Asked by Still1hotmamii at 11:10 AM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• you should contact peanutsmommy1 - she works with child care providers as her job
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 11:13 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I live in Rochester NY and we have a cr&r agency. According to them the demand for child care providers in plentiful. Im more concerned about the business of the idea..Yes I enjoy working with children its my career choice but would it be less rewarding and more stressful?
    Still1hotmamii

Answer by Still1hotmamii at 11:16 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• well, it means that you are home, most likely alone, with kids all day. You have to have a plan for your own kids illnesses, your vacations, drs appts. You need to find out what the average cost of care is in your area, and figure out how much you would be bringing in if you were full. If you opened and were not full, how long could you afford to wait for kids?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:19 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I'm so glad I switched to licensed home childcare. I make a lot more money, I love it because I can do it my way, and you can write a lot your regular household expenses, plus I could be home with my kids. Working with children can be stressful but if you own your own business, you can interview and enroll only the families you are willing to work with. When you work in a center or other programs as an employee you must work with the ones that are there. Not always a bad thing, but I found it a lot more stressful. Management wasn't always educated in child development and each little child seemed to have a dollar sign tattooed on their little foreheads (sarcasm).
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:22 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Having a daycare in your home could be both (rewarding and stressful!) I do not know the legal requirements for your state however in VA (where I used to live) you had to have certain rooms dedicated to your daycare - meaning you could not use them any other time ie basement. You also had to buy supplies for your daycare use - not family use - like furniture, cots, toys, cleaning supplies, etc etc etc. Getting set up is very costly and then you have to be licensed and certified. Prepare a meal plan, daily schedule (like your daily routine you would have with the kids), are you going to transport them anywhere or not, if you are do you have the appropriate size vehicle, waivers, car seats (your auto insurance will go up as your home owners insurance) you cannot do a home daycare if you are renting a home. You will really need to be organized not only for the kids sake but also for your own. **
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 11:23 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• i enjoyed it, helped a lot with finances.

and you already have most the equipment you need.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 11:25 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• This should be something you really look into before jumping in. Decide your hours of operation and realize that you will no longer be able to "just take a day off" because other families are depending on you.
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 11:25 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• also, check into the rates for child care insurance, your business most likely will not be covered by your homeowners insurance
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:30 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Life's a Dance..I agree about how some managers run centers with only thoughts of $$$. That is my major reasoning for wanting to open my own. Also thanks to Mommy of Many, I appreciate your insight of the "not so sunny" side of opening my own. I am no longer in VA so NY state regs are different. I have practically made up my mind to do it I guess I just needed that input from other moms to push me harder.
    Still1hotmamii

Answer by Still1hotmamii at 11:33 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Do it out of the LOVE of caring for children not the money from it.
    Anonymous